Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Easier way to loosen Isolete lens here! Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Easier way to loosen Isolete lens here! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rob

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently got an Agfa Isolette with those
lenses that are always glued together with
old grease. I may have a better way to open them up.
First I used acetone, lighter fluid and Liquid wrench,heat gun,ice..nothing...soaked
them overnight. Gave up...

I then put lighter fluid in a small, shallow metal pan covering the lens and used a small lamp aimed at the lens. This generated enough
heat to warm the fluid (which makes it circulate) and in a couple hours I could see the green grease accumulating in the pan. I flipped the lens over several times durig this process.
It still took some force to open them up but it worked. I may try heating the fluid next time I
do a shutter cleaning also, that should get them
really clean.
Oh course you dont want to get the fluid too hot
and risk it catching on fire but warm enough to
the touch. Do not leave unattended either.

Winfried

Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think heat is the keyword here. I once had an Isolette lens which would not loosen with any solvent I tried. Finally I warmed it up a bit with a hot air gun and after a few seconds it was loose enough to be unscrewed with pliers. The front element and second element are not cemented (even on the Solinar lens) so there is no risk with melting or softening lens cement.

charlie

Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 02:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had an Anso Regent (same company, same grease,same problem). I was able to set the lens at 3.5 feet, opened the back, and applied a Q-tip soaked in sewing machine oil to the exposed female helicoid thread. I then was able to move the focus towards infinity and back, and keep swabbing the helicoid with oil. Between sessions I closed the front and let the camera sit face down to get the oil to move down the helicoid. Eventually the Q-tip started turning green and the focus seems to be normal now. I don't know how permanent this is but I can repeat if necessary.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration