Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Bad meter cell in Vivitar 35 ES? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Bad meter cell in Vivitar 35 ES? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Haig Hovaness

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The metering is inaccurate, with one stop shutter speed changes resulting in two-stop needle shifts. The battery voltage is OK, so is the CDS cell shot? Where should I look for a replacement?

Winfried

Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think the CdS meter cell is faulty. First you should try to adjust the light meter as linear as possible using the variable resistor you find on the galvanometer housing after removal of the top plate. If the meter is still 1 or 2 steps off (over the full range) you can adjust this by changing ASA setting accordingly.

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Winfried. I recall fiddling with this potentiometer, thinking it was a sensitivity adjustment, so I probably created the problem myself.

What do you think of the many 40mm f1.7 lenses on rangefinders of this era? Do you think they all came out of the same factory? The lens on this Vivitar 35ES looks identical to the lens on my Minolta Hi-matic E. Do you think the Olympus 35 RD uses the same design?

Winfried

Posted on Friday, October 15, 2004 - 12:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know whether the lenses of the Vivitar35ES is identical to that of the Hi-Matic E, but I am quite sure it is the same as on the Hi-Matic7SII which very obviously comes from the same manufacturer as the 35ES and its german rebranded version Revue400SE. I could see no difference in sharpness between shots with a CanonetQL17-GIII and a Revue400SE.

Olympus used to make their own lenses so I think the Olympus lens is a proprietary design. It is very sharp, too.

I don't think that all the lenses (although they have similar specifications) were made by the same manufacturer. But I am quite sure that the Vivitar35ES, Hi-Matic7SII and Revue400SE come from the same manaufacturer. I don't own a Konica Auto-S3 but I think it fits in that row, too. In this case the lens has (nominal) 38mm but I am not sure whether it does not actually have 40mm like all the others. The difference between 38 and 40mm will be hardly noticeable without precise measurement.

Kiron Kid

Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Russ Butner , oct 26, 2004; 11:13 a.m.
The Revue 400SE is the identical camera as the Vivitar ES. It was made by Cosina. It is a great little camera, with a very good, and sharp 40mm f/1.7 lens. You can use the easily gotten 675 zinc-air 1.35v hearing aid batteries in them, or equivalent "Wein" zinc-airs, which last longer than the hearing aid batteries. I recently tested the Vivitar ES, and a few other rangefinders, and found that it has one of the sharpest lenses of the bunch. Considerably sharper than the Canon GIII QL-17. It is very similar to the Minolta Hi-Matic 7sII. The Vivitar "EE", is an all auto exposure camera, with a 40mm f/2.8 lens, and not as sharp as the Vivitar ES. If you use the alkaline or silver oxide 1.5v batteries in the Viv ES, you will want to cut the film speed in half (½) in order to compensate for the voltage difference. Also, the LZ (flash-matic) exposure feature on this camera is quite accurate.(100 film=7, 200 film=14, 400film=28) Have fun with your Viv ES. It's a great little camera. Vivitar also made a great little 49mm screw-on metal lens shade for this camera. They are quite easily found too.

Russ (Kiron Kid)

David E

Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 11:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. I am interested in either: An Olympus 35SP; Vivitar 35ES; Revue 500SE or Minolta Hi-matic 7SII. I know the batteries are rare and require ingenuity (e.g hearing aid batteries)but I want to know if they can be operated without batteries,(relying on a handheld meter instead)

Winfried

Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 06:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

IIRC only the 7SII has full manual aperture setting. All other varieties of this camera (35ES and 400SE) have a 'flashmatic' system which allows for automatic aperture setting in flash mode.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration