Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kiev 60 standard lens (Volna) repair... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Kiev 60 standard lens (Volna) repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Martin

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Against my better judgment I bought a Kiev 60 from eBay just for 'fun'. It is from the dreaded 1992 period and is, of course, riddled with problems that I am dealing with 1 by 1. Before I can shoot a test roll and move on to anything else I need to fix the standard lens' (Volna 80mm) diaphragm.

I have taken the mount off the lens and examined the mechanism. The aperture blades look clean, free from oil and free moving. What seems to be the problem is the mechanism to automatically stop down the iris. It all pivots on a bearing around the glass. A spring in the lens is there to pull the aperture closed (this was very sloppy and I have increased its tension a little). A pin in the mount connects to a lever which, when depressed makes the iris open fully - when released it should let the fore mentioned spring stop the lens down.

In my repairs in cameras so far I have avoided lubricating anything at all, preferring everything to be clean and properly set up instead of relying on oil. However, I am thinking that this might be one occasion when lubrication is called for. I am thinking that I should lubricate the the bearing everything pivots on and the stop down pin mechanism. Is this a good idea? If so what lubricant do you think I should use?

Does anyone have any experience with this lens? Do you think my diagnosis is ok or should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Regards - Martin

Steve

Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 01:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My experience with cleaning a sluggish aperture mechanism is with a Mamiya 55mm lens, and I found that lubricating the mechanism to free it up made things worse. I then flooded the blades and mechanism with Ronsonol lighter fluid several times and really worked the mechanism to get the oil and dirt out, and dried it with a blow drier to make sure every part was bone dry, and that is what seemed to help the most. I found that even a small amount of oil slowed down the mechanism a lot, to the point of exposures that were half overexposed because the aperture took so long to close down. I hope this helps.

Martin

Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any advice for flodding these mechanisms without getting into the focusing mechanism? I'm afraid getting fluid into the grease there with create more problems later.
Regards - Martin

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration