Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Spots when looking through viewfinder... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Spots when looking through viewfinder question. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 06:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sorry if this is too much of a newbie question but, i'm quite the newbie.

While looking through the viewfinder on my Minolta Maxum 35mm there are 2 spots in the upper portion. I have tried to clean off the lens and inspected it and it's not on the lens. Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

Thanks!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

rick oleson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the spots appear distinct in the viewfinder, they would have to be on the focusing screen or the bottom surface of the prism. I don't know if your camera has interchangeable screens or not; if it does, you can reach this area by removing the screen; if not, the camera will have to be disassembled to reach it (unless the spots are on the bottom surface of the screen, which can be reached through the lens mount).

Specks of dirt, etc in this area have no effect on your photographs and generally can be ignored unless you just can't stand looking at them.

If the spots appear out of focus in the finder, they may be on the bottom of the screen, on the mirror or on other surfaces of the prism. Spots caused by degradation of silvering on the prism are a major project to fix; the easy solution in this case would be to replace the prism.

:)=

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration