Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zorki 3m Rangefinder Adjustment Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Zorki 3m Rangefinder Adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff Schroeder

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently received a Zorki 3m direct from the Ukraine. After running a test roll through it I noticed that the focus was out of adjustment. I tried adjusting the horizontal portion of the rangefinder using the adjusting screw near the bottom of the viewfinder window. I adjusted it for both infinity and for 1 meter. Thinking I had fixed the problem I shot another test roll and found the camera still mis-focusing. It appears to be focusing in front of the subject. I have been shooting at f2 or 2.8 on the Jupiter 8 so that I could check this.

I then took the lens off and checked the cam arm. It had some slop in it which tells me it did not fully engage the rangefinder mirror arm above as quickly as it should. Apparently, when I had adjusted the rangefinder for proper infinity/1 meter focus I had to back off the adjusting screw so much that it didn't readily engage the prism arm.

I then checked the patch with my Zorki 4 (which does focus properly). I found that the rangefinder patch in the viewfinder was considerably farther to the right in the 4 than in the 3m. I am comparing the location of the patch in the viewfinder with the lenses off both cameras. This is when the cam which contacts the lens is in it's full "resting" position. To sum all of this up - I think the actual prism is out of alignment and the adjustment screw near the viewfinder does not have enough travel to compensate.

I then took the top cover of the camera off to see what was happening. I cannot see how to adjust the prism. There are 4 very small screws on the end of the prism mounting block but I am not sure what their function is. And to unscrew the bottom ones I would have to remove more of the shutter speed mechanism. So before I do any of that I was hoping someone here could give me some advice.

Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

dave passmore

Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 06:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
Did you move the cam itself on the arm? That may help you out, its hard to turn but can be done.Slip some rubber tubing over the tips of needle nose pliers and grip the cam then turn.But first , check the lens registration(28.8mm),then use a ground glass to check the lens itself for infinity.With out doing this first,any adjustments of the range finder will be for naught.......hope this helps,Dave

Cyril Lowe

Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You may have fixed your focusing problem by now, but my Zorki 1 that I bought from the Ukraine was out of adjustment ,too.The horizontal focus was adjusted with the screw near the viewfinder,at infinity. The close focus was done with tweaking the cam, and I found the vertical adjustment was done by revolving the rangefinder bezel one way then the other. When I got it right I dabbed some hair laquer round the bezel.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration