Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Sticking lens barrel. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Sticking lens barrel. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Azazello

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got a Yashica YL, with a working shutter. Of course, I was so pleased about this I forgot to ask about the focus and aperture rings...sigh

They are really stuck, anyone got any tips? Do I need to take the entire thing apart? Or can I just drop naptha in? I guess I can't can I?

Also, has anyone ever used one of these? I'm actualy finding it a challenge to work out what one of the rings DOES, it has numbers 1 - 17 and it isn't the aperture or exposure. Wierd, huh?

Francis Otto

Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...sorry I can't help about freeing off the focus, but I think you'll find the 1 - 17 ring is 'EV' (Exposure Values: shutter-speed interlocked with Aperture, so that the resultant exposure is the same - set one, and the other adjusts accordingly). An EV of 17 would give you 1/1000th at f11 with 400 ASA,EV 1 would be 2 sec at about f1.8.
Francis Otto

Azazello

Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 06:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's....very clever indeed... But seriously, anyone on this focus thing?

Curt

Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 04:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

About the simplest and easiest method of freeing up stiff focus rings (not sure if it'll work on frozen aperture rings) is to apply heat to thaw the ancient grease if this is the problem. I use a hair dryer for a couple of minutes, then move the focus ring back and forth many times to redistibute the old frozen grease. Sometimes this will be a permanent fix, often as soon as the lens cools the ring will freeze again. At the very least this will show you if the problem is simply old grease. The lens doesn't need to be heated till it's red hot either, simply pretty warm to the touch. Hope this helps. Curt in Canada.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration