Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Old style Canon QL 17 shutter repair ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Old style Canon QL 17 shutter repair - ball bearing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gary Whitehead

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

OK, my first attempt at fixing a camera, an old style (i.e. 1965 model) Canon QL 17, which had a shutter that ground to a halt at slow speeds.

I have approached the shutter (Copal SV) by removing the lens unit from the body (4 screws under leatherette), removing lens elements, and then working my way in from the front of the lens (remove mount for light sensitive cell, shutter ring, copper coloured shutter cover (3 screws), internal shutter speed ring) and finally - Voila - the shutter in its full glory. So far I have tried lighter fluid and alcohol, fixed shutter, gummed up aperture blades.... That however is not my problem (I assume that Micro tools Asahiklin (and daylight for cleaning) will sort that out).

Problem is a bit more feeble - as I was putting the lens unit temporarily back together I found a single solitary ball bearing (< 1mm diameter), which I certainly did not notice on dissasembly, and cannot find any obvious home for. Too large for the shutter, the shutter dial has click stops provided by the shutter itself, and in fact everything looks OK without the inclusion of the bearing on reassembly.

Anyone been here before and can give me a clue as to this bearing's home?

Cheers,

Gary Whitehead.

Will

Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Gary,

I recently worked on a early QL 19. I think it is the same camera but for the lens speed. The ball that you are refering to could be the film speed lever detent. There is a hole in the film speed lever ring with a little brass spring plate that the ball fits into. In the shutter speed ring there are corresponding holes the ball clicks into as the film speed is adjusted. It could belong here - hope this helps.

Will

Gary Whitehead

Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Will,

Thanks for the suggestion, I had a look but on this unit there is a sort of spring ratchet built in between the shutter speed ring and the film speed ring and no need (nor holder) for a ball bearing detent.

I have the camera back together and it works fine (I'm quite happy for my first attempt) so I am assuming it cannot be too important. (Does anyone know whether these cameras are supposed to have click stops on the aperture ring - this one doesn't which could give me a culprit for the bearing's home (although I did not dissasemble in that area))?

Gary.

Ken

Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2004 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Gary
The small ball bearing is the detent for the apeture setting and only snaps into place when the lens is set to the "A" positions.
Its location is behind a small copper colored clip that holds down the CDS sensor wires.
You will have to remove the front lens and the aluminum filter ring housing, un-fasten the cds cell and remove the speed ring and the ASA ring.
Now you will see this copper colored wire clip holding the orange and white wires of the CDS cell. If you carefully loosen this clip and turn it slightly and install the "ball" in the hole on the right side and put the clip back. The ball goes into the small hole that is directly below the ASA opening slot. The camera will work without this ball but its purpose is to snap or hold the apeture setting in the "A" position.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration