Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica FR film-counter malfunction. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Yashica FR film-counter malfunction. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrea

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello! I found this forum during a search on the web for a problem with an old Yashica FR.
I think it's a very good forum!
My problem is that film-counter doesn't work and it remains at S position every time (as if the film-door would be opened). So I thought to open the camera from its upper cover, but I think it's a difficult and delicate operation (there is the pentaprism and also electronics of shutter and exposure). Does anyone experience to open the upper cover?
Let me know! Thanks a lot dears!
Andrea.

rick oleson

Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 02:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think I have experience with this particular camera, but I'm not sure. In general terms, to remove the top cover of a camera you have to remove the wind lever, the rewind knob, the shutter speed dial and some screws underneath. Different cameras are very different in difficulty: in some, you can just unscrew these things and lift everything off, while in others you can lose your meter settings or even lose or damage parts. It is probably not a particularly difficult or delicate operation for someone who is familiar with the camera, but it can be otherwise.

:)=

Ed

Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If yoy get the top off, I think you will find that the small nylon (?) gear on the shaft that drives the counter is cracked --they have not been available for many years.

Michael Linn

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 06:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ed is right- the nylon gear cracks eventually because it was forced onto a shaft with too large a diameter (by 0.1mm if I remember correctly). You need an intact gear and need to measure the shaft diameter with a micrometer and drill it out to the exact same diameter before replacing. If you would like directions for removing the top, just ask and I will be glad to post them.

Roger Provins

Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very common problem with the FR1 and FR cameras. have a look here for instructions how to repair.
http://www.cdegroot.com/photo/yashica/fr1-repair/

Regards
Roger

Andrea

Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello!
I'm very happy for your answers, I think you are very very kind with me and the other people who ask for help.
I'm going to read the link posted by Roger. I'll be very happy if Michael wants to add some notes!
Then I' ll try to remove the top and to check the advance counter mechanism.
Thanks a lot dears, and sorry for my bad English... I studied it at school and I'm not used to write in English (altough I like this language a lot).
Best regards,
Andrea.

Andrea

Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello!
I have another small problem with my "new" Yashica FR:
I checked exposimeter by comparing its values with two other camera (a Yashica FX-3 and a Pentax MX): the FR one generrally indicates the correct exposure at an inferior value than the values indicated by the other two cameras (for example it indicates 1/125 sec at f/5.6 when the other two cameras indicate 1/125 sec at f/4) when I setted the same value for ASA speed film and I pointed the same object (a floor and a white paper). Is there a way for correcting this fact? Let me know!! Very very thanks a lot, Andrea.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration