Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Lynx 5000e battery compartment wont open Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Lynx 5000e battery compartment wont open « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

paul Shelasky

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I just bought a 5000e and i cant unscrew the battery compartment. Any hints that would help without having to remove top of camera? Which I'll try if need be. Thanks for any info.
Paul

Winfried

Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You probably can't remove the top of the camera with the battery compartment unopened - very probably there are still (leaking) batteries inside, and the female thread of the top cover protrudes quite a bit inside around the battery.

You can try to dissolve the goo from the leaking battery with pure water, some people suggest to add some vinegar. If everything else fails you will have to use plumpers' pliers (no kidding, I did so). Maybe the female thread part will come off, too, but it can be reattached to the top cover by soldering or glueing with epoxy.

The battery covers of the Lynx cameras have a rather fine thread which will stick very soon when corroded.

Paul Shelasky

Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks,I'll try your suggestions and let you know.
Paul

Charles Fallis

Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 01:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wait a minute. I have a Lynx 5000 (not a 5000e though). Aren't we just talking about a stuck battery cover? What about the old trick of removing the bottom plate and soaking it in vinegar?

Winfried

Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 5000E has its battery compartment inside the top cover, NOT on the bottom cover as the 5000 without E.

Paul Shelasky

Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Winfried,
The hot water and a vice grip wrench did the trick. Thanks. I didnt realize the 5000e uses 2 640batteries. The battery compartment looks OK actually to the naked eye. But I'll have to see if its working. Gotta get new batteries.
Paul

Winfried

Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 12:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should take off the top cover and check whether the wire from the battery contact is rotten. On all Lynx I have encountered the battery wire was rotten (or close to) when the batteries had been leaking.

Cut off the wire as far as possible and solder a new end to the old one. Soldering the battery contact is a bit tricky since the plastic material it is embedded in melts easily.

paul shelasky

Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 07:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Winfried,
I'll try that if the batteries arent working. I ordered a battery from the Yashica Guy. Thanks again, Paul

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration