Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta Hi-matic 7 Rangefinder Glass ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Minolta Hi-matic 7 Rangefinder Glass Cleaning « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Larry Cordeiro

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I recently purchased a Minolta Hi-matic 7 on e-bay that looks to be in good condition. However, I would like to remove the top of the camera to clean the rangefinder glass. Can anyone give me direction, and or tips to complete this task?

Regards,

Larry Cordeiro

Stuart Willis

Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 12:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Film rewind knob unscrews conventionally.
Then remove the top-plate cover screw as dead centre rear in the skirt of the top-plate.
With fine-point pliers unscrew the film advance lever centre cap then lift of the lever.
Top-plate then lifts off clean.

By all means clean the eyepiece optics but even though Minolta makes perhaps the most durable beam-splitter in the business - do not attempt to clean such. The beamsplitter is the semi-silvered diagonal glass in front of the eyepiece.
If you try to clean it you will remove the soft coated semi-silvering and theafter - no rangefinder image.

Stuart Willis

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, I believe the semi-silvering is only on the side facing the eyepiece ocular. As long as that side is not touched, all should be fine.

Cleaned many Hi-Matic, Canonet, Konica S2 etc. finders this way.

All the best,

Jan

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration