Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax Super program (Super A) focusi... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Pentax Super program (Super A) focusing screen replacement « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Leo Gottfried

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 12:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I ruined my Super Program's focusing screen while cleaning the goo from the old mirror bumper foam (some of the goo fell on the screen and it has been impossible to clean as it should be,
I would like to buy a non working pentax body with a clean focusing screen but it is difficult to find a Super Program body for parts.
Can somebody tell if another pentax body has a focusing screen that would fit my Super Program?
There are plenty on ME and ME Super sold for parts but I do not know if their focusing screens will fit my Super Program

Zygmunt Roslon

Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 08:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ME and ME Super have the same screens as Pentax A .Good luck as it is difficult to remove screens off them as you have to take off top cover , not like at Pentax A..

Leo Gottfried

Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 06:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks for your answer in relation to the Pentax Super Program / Pentax ME sharing the same focusing screen.
You mention that the Pentax ME screen is hard to reach "not as in the pentax A" - since I intend to "scavenge" the screen from a non working ME, It is not critical to be very precise while disasembilg.

If you care to kindly give me some pointers about disassembling and reassembling the Super Program in order to change the focusing screen I would very much appreciate your help.

Sincerely yours

Leo Gottfried

Leo Gottfried

Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 10:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thak you for the help sent by you people via e mail - it was very helpful in getting the focusing screen off the camera and back.
In order to take the goo off the lower side of the focusing screen I used a bit of car finish wax diluted in water, taking care not to smear or affect the upper part that has the micro grooves.

Leo

Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 01:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The car wax is not the best solution - the good one is:
Listen good - this is your way out of this trouble. Buy at Home depot - Lowes etc. some "GOOF OFF 2" - do not use the regular harsh GOOF OFF since it may spoil your focusing screen.
I have cleaned several screens on Pentax and Chinon SLRs with outstanding results.
Use a small amount of the stuff - you dont want it to get inside your prism.
Do not touch any rubber or foam parts with this liquid.

Jonathan

Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 03:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't seen Goof Off for sale here. What is it like? There's probably something similar around.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 07:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From what I have seen on the manufacturer's web site Goof Off 2 is a product that will remove latex based paints.It would appear to be water based or water rinseable.So no surprise that it will remove foam goo.I would think any good decorator supply outlet would have similar product.

Would not recommend using this or any water based product, on screen that is still installed in body.Out of the body I can see no problems with this type of product-especially if the screen is knackered anyway-one can only gain a clean screen.

Jonathan

Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 10:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm, sounds useful. I'll have to track something down.
Thanks!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration