Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Peerflekta tlr with problem prontor s... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Peerflekta tlr with problem prontor sv shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard J. Clarke

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi- I have been working on a prontor sv shutter, and it has several issues
1) the spring that drives the shutter, came loose. It was working fine, then all of a sudden ,no tension. It either came loose at the bottom, or the spring broke. Any ideas on how to fix?

2) the slow shutter speed escapement does not work right. I cleaned it, does the shafts need to be oiled?

rick oleson

Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1) Is it an extension spring (a stretchy coil spring that lies alongside the lens barrel)? If one of these breaks, you can usually bend up the first unbroken coil to form a new end loop and put it back in.

2) usually, these can be made to run well without oil; however, sometimes one needs a little. get some REALLY thin oil (watch oil, or "ultra fine" oil from a hobby shop), and with the tip of a screwdriver apply one drop each to the pivots of the rocker, the star wheel and the first gear that the star wheel engages. if this doesn't do it, the problem is not a lack of oil.

Winfried

Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 12:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First, a non-working escapement NEVER is the result of lacking oil, but the result of gummed lubricant from the focussing helical etc. Before trying to lubricate it you should wash it in lighter fluid. That's what the Prontor repair manual recommends. You can add a very small amount of watch or gun oil but just oil won't help too much.

Second, all Prontor shutters have their main springs wound around the cocking shafts. I once encountered a broken one. You can cannibalize one from another shutter of similar make but changing the shutter spring is everything but easy since it has to be fitted under tension.

Prontor SV shutters were pretty common on german cameras and I think you'd better swap the whole (or most of) the shutter assembly.

Harry Ashworth

Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
I have a MPP Microcord camera, a British made copy of a Rolleicord, which is fitted with a Prontor SVS shutter. The shutter speeds are B, 1 to 1/300 sec and all these seem fine but the "D" selftimer delay is absolutely solid. When D is selected and the shutter release operated the cocking lever moves and then stops, pressing it gently doesn't start the timing gears. The camera has had very little use so the shutter could need lubricating but this doesn't feel like dry gears and the slow speeds seem about right. It's not affecting the normal use of the camera but can anyone suggest what might be the cause of the problem.
Thanks
Harry

Winfried

Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 03:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the Prontor SVS shutter the self timer/M sync escapement is always cocked together with the shutter. The self timer/M sync escapement is supposed to be started automatically after a little movement of the shutter blades. Pressing the cocking lever does not help since it is linked to the self timer during cocking only. Pressing the cocking lever too hard may even damage the shutter, since the self timer is activated by a precisely adjusted tab which is linked to the blade mechanism. Misbending this tab may even cause the shutter not to open at all at any setting.

I think in your case the pallet wheel drive of the escapement (this part is switched off when set to M or X sync) is gummed. You will have to open the shutter and then you can try to drip some drops of lighter fluid on the escapement. Don't use too much in order not to wash the gummed grease on the blades. Do not try to cock the shutter with the speed cam plate off, on some series of the SVS shutter the arms which cock the self timer escapement are held in plate only by pressure of the cam disk.

Harry

Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Winfried
Thank you for your response to my query. The shutter works fine on all the speeds and sounds about right for the slow settings and the B is also OK. As a TLR copy of a Rolleicord it's not immediately obvious how to get at the shutter mechanism, there are 2 small screws each side of the lens panel and it looks as if removing these will allow the view and taking lenses, aperture and shutter mechanism to lift off in one piece. I'll try this and follow your advice on cleaning the pallet wheel but it may take a little while before I get round to it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration