Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus XA wind sprocket not engaging Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Olympus XA wind sprocket not engaging « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

dave pook

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 05:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought an XA privately but missed a simple check to ensure a film could be loaded. When I got the camera home I have found that when loading a film the sprocket does not engage when the winder is turned, it is as though the bottom release button ( used when unloading ) is still in, which it isn't. I'm prepared to dismantle it using info from this site but was wondering what to look out for, thx.

M Currie

Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 08:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Before going too much further, try a dummy roll of film, perhaps one of those buck-a-roll rolls from Walmart or the dollar store. My XA2 always seems not to have enough grip to engage when I load it, but does in fact work once it's snapped shut.

dave pook

Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is weird. You're right. I'm sure this wasn't the case with an XA I owned previously ( lost due to salt water damage ).With the back open the film would engage on the sprocket, you'd close the back and away you go. Should I now have to keep a very close eye on the rewind knob/lever to make sure every time I wind-on that the sprocket is engaging? Has something worn or become damaged I wonder? I'll reload with a less expensive film and have a play. Thanks for the post.

M Currie

Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I always keep a good eye on the rewind knob when I start, but once it's engaged I've never had a problem with it continuing. I bought mine used many years ago and it's always been that way. It may be worn, but it has shot many many rolls of film without problems.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration