Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Black slides and vertical stripes Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Black slides and vertical stripes « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Luis

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 06:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I'm facing some problems with my Nikon FE: I recently shot two rolls of film; one Agfa Scala processed in a lab that came back all black as if it was not processed at all (except for three thin white vertical stripes and the usual frame number); one Fomapan R 100 that I processed at home with exactly the same problem (black slides with vertical stripes), except on the last 15 frames.

This a recent problem since I already got nice pictures before with this equipment. I also think that this is not a problem from the film or processing (two different films, two different processing methods, same problem?).

Before shooting a new film I ask you if you already experienced a similar problem. I know that white vertical stripes are usually related with light leaks, but why are the slides completely dark?

Luis

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 06:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Luis:

This sounds very odd. I have a few questions:

1) are the vertical stripes sharply defined, or are they fuzzy around the edges, and are they perfectly vertical? And I assume 'vertical' means with the camera held normally, so the stripes run across the film and not parallel to it?

2) are the stripes blank white, or is there an image in them? And is the black area perfectly black, or is there an image in it?

3) you said "three white vertical stripes"... is this 3 per frame, 3 for the entire film? is it the same on every frame, in the same locations?

(This is not to suggest that i'll be able to come up with an answer after you've answered the questions....)

Luis

Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 06:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Rick,
1) They are fuzzy and perfectly vertical across the film;
2) The stripes look blank white. No image in the black area.
3) 3 per film, not at the same location.
I also noticed that the foam is starting to desintegrate (looks like black pepper if I shake the camera too much) and I can even find some sticky material in the back part.

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again:

I think you have 2 separate problems.

The white stripes sound like light leaks, probably from the deteriorated foam; they are probably occurring at the hinge at the right hand end of the camera.

The blank exposures sound like a shutter problem. Since the system is cycling and allowing you to wind on to the next frame, I think this is a mechanical, not an electrical problem.... something like a sticky opening shutter blade. It might even be that some of the sticky, deteriorated foam found its way into your shutter blades and is causing the shutter to stick.

Do you see dirty smears on either of the shutter blades (probably the one that's visible when the shutter is cocked)?

Luis

Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 02:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

You're right: there is some foam missing near the hinge. The back door was also somehow loose. I remove the deteriorated foam and glued some new one; the door also became more tight.

About the second problem: indeed I have some sticky foam in the shutter curtains and on the plate at the back door. How can I remove it (alcohol, ketone,...)?

Thanks!

rick oleson

Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 07:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First, try wiping the residue off gently with a cotton swab, very wet in lighter fluid/naptha/benzine. clean both the front and rear surfaces of the blades, there will probably be residue on both; fire the shutter, recock, and repeat until the blades appear clean. there may still be some residue in the overlap area where you can't reach between blades... there's no safe way to prop the blades open in this kind of shutter so you can't do much about that without disassembly. clean what you can, as well as you can, and see if it helps.

Luis

Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 01:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again,
I did as you said. I shot a roll of film and everything looks fine now.
Thanks a lot!
Luis

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration