Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax ES II mirrorstaying up intermi... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Pentax ES II mirrorstaying up intermittently « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan Dvorak

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The mirror on my Pentax ES II sometimes stays up after exposure. It happens mainly in manual mode, with the shutter set to 1/60s. At all other manual speeds as well as in Auto mode, the mirror works properly. The dampening foam is not the culprit - checked that and it is fine.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Jan

David Randall

Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 11:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jan,
Same problem here, have a Black Pentax ES (Honeywell) #6543970, would be my fave 35mm screw mount if it worked properly.
Click it again and the mirror comes back down, a real film burner. Could it have something to do with the flash sync?
Also I've noticed that there is a small trigger switch in the
upper right top of the bellow chamber that pushes in when the mirror flips up. If this were "rigged" to stay in, would that solve the problem. I use this camera without a battery. Meter's, who needs em'. If I find out more, I'll let you know. Thanks, Dave

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,

I believe I fixed my problem with the mirror. I applied minute amount of fine oil to the bearings of the shutter drum and the shutter curtain spindles. Shutter works like a charm, with the mirror coming down at all speeds.

If your problem is the same as mine, remove the base plate and remove the printed board that is under it. I don't know if the ES is identical to the ESII, but my board was held by three screws and plugged into a multi connector. Very easy to remove. Once removed, you will have access to the shutter bearings.

This is definitely not a professional fix, since there is another set of bearings accessible from the top, but it fixed the problem.

Whatever you do, do not tamper with the mirror arrester in the mirror chamber - it serves a different purpose.

Good luck,

Jan

David Randall

Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Jan,
I'll try it, and get back to you on the results.
Now, where did I put that oil!

David

Krg

Posted on Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My (french) tip:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/krg/trucs/reparations.htm#miroir

Jan

Posted on Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

C'est exactement ce que j'ai lubrifier - merci pour les images!

That is the area I have applied oil to, as well as the shutter curtain bearings just to the right of the tripod socket.

Thanks for the pictures,

Jan

Ashutosh Sharma

Posted on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 08:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
I am very new to this forum. Well I am having a problem regarding the digital camera. When I try to put the camera in the trigger mode, then in the picture I get a black strip but when the trigger mode is off then the picture comes prefectly. I tried with changing the Camera as well as trigger part but in vain. I am using Sony X710 difgital Interface Camera.

Any Idea about the cause and remedy ?

regards,
ashutosh

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration