Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax K1000 stuck Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Pentax K1000 stuck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan Dvorak

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Pentax K1000 is, to put it bluntly - stuck. Film advance lever will not budge not even 1mm, the shuter release button is free to move up and down. Mirror is down. I removed the bottom cover to see if anything was amiss there, but all seems to be just as solidly blocked.

I am inclined to believe the problem might be up top, but before I remove the top cover I would like to check with the usual gurus. Any pointers as to what to look for?

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Jan

Ed

Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

check inside the bottom--to the right (front-bottom of camera facing you) of the tripod socket and look at the mirror tensioning lever--if it cocked, it would be at the front of the camera--if not, use a screwdriver,etc to push it forward and cock. If that is the problem, it should work now.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The mirror tensioning lever is not cocked. When pushed forward, it will latch, but when the shutter release is tripped, the mirror flips up and does not come down. To help with diagnosis - the shutter is not wound and since the camera is stuck, cannot be wound. Nothing seems to be free to move under the bottom cover, except the mirror tensioning lever and the cog wheel which is under the the lever which locks the mirror tensioning lever in place.

Jan

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some more ideas anybody?

Thanks,

Jan

Don

Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any sign of corrosion on the bottom wind gears? If the camera was previously worked on, maybe the cable release pin is lodged in the wind gears. Can you turn the takeup spool w/your thumb? There should be some resistance to it's turning. Look for film chips above & below the spool. Check if the ctr. window is in place.
Don

Ed

Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 03:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

another thing that happens is that the wind gear and maiting gear with it strip out and cause problems, but usually the wind lever will advance, just doesn't do anything. Take the top off and look around.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No signs of corrosion, camera does not appear to have been worked on. Original paint is still applied to the shutter curtain tension adjustment gears. There are no film chips, counter window is where it is supposed to be, I did not try if the take-up spool turns - will do that tonight. Hmmmmmm....

I will take the top cover off tonight and poke around for anything lodged in the wind gears. Will report my findings (if any....). I do have a hunch that the problem lurks under the top cover.

Thanks for the input,

Jan

steve

Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 09:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jan

Please visit www.CanonT90.com

we can repair this camera for you at a very reasonable cost!!

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steve,

But than I would not have any fun, would I?

Jan

Stuart Willis

Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 11:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SLR mechanisms work on a "domino theory".
The first action triggers the next - and so on.
When the shutter is cocked, the "wind-lock" engages so as to prevent subsequent waste of film by winding-on before the current frame is exposed.

The last action in the domino chain after the exposure sequence, is release of the "wind-lock". You will inutively find the wind-lock pawl under the baseplate and can release it with a toothpick.

Probably needs a little lube to ensure no repeat of the problem. On the other hand - it might be just one of those inexplicable things which occur with SLR's and the problem may never recur.

Stuart Willis

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Stuart,

The K1000 still sits among my many 'projects to do after I find out what the hell is wrong with it'....

I don't believe the problem is under the baseplate. The camera is not wound, mirror is not cocked, the wind-lock pawl is free to move. I am assuming the wind lock pawl to be the lever which releases the mirror cocking lever when the camera is fired. I carefully examined what happens under the baseplate on my working KM and cannot figure out what could be wrong with the K1000.

I have removed the top plate to check the wind mechanism - nothing seems to have fallen into the gears. When I compare the 'stand off' of the advance lever between the working KM and the dud K1000, there is no play at all on the K1000, leading me to belive thtat there must me something stuck somewhere. But where??

I don't want to start removing the counter mechanism and the wind gears on top. Looks like that might be beyond my scope of expertise and I do not want to cause any more damage.

I am still eagerly awaiting some hints so that the K1000 can finally disappear from my desk.....

Many thanks,

Jan

B A Kahn

Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 04:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The film doesn't advance on my Pentax. I "thought" I was taking pictures of my daughter's wedding! Pentax said they don't repair cameras that old.
Help, please

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You do not indicate which classic Pentax (slr?) you have,but you should have noticed that the rewind knob wasn't rotating.If film was loaded correctly and the shutter,mirror, wind on functioned normally; check that the rewind button is not stuck in.If button not stuck in, can you rotate the sprockets by hand?If you can then a gear or two may have stripped.

Perhaps Clive in Dublin can help you. [email protected]
He has sorted other Pentax problems out recently.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration