Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minox ML 35 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Minox ML 35 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Martin Taylor

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know what possessed me considering the Minox 35's reputation for flaky electronics but I bought a ML 35. I immediately put a new battery in it and checked it out and the shutter appeared to be working well in both automatic and aperture priority modes. However, I just got my test roll processed and half way through it appears that the camera has started misbehaving in aperture priority mode.

Examining the camera again, it still seems to work in automatic mode, that is the shutter opens but only if there is enough light available. If the picture is going to be under exposed in automatic mode the camera doesn't warn you and the shutter release clicks but does not open. In flash mode (virtually manual with a fixed shutter speed) the camera works as it should. In aperture priority mode an appropriate exposure is reported by the LEDs in the viewfinder, the shutter clicks but does not open - or, to be more precise, rarely opens - it will surprise you and open once in a while.

I've heard of this happening to of ML's; aperture priority mode goes but automatic mode works seems to be the sign of a dying Minox. Obviously, it's not the mechanics of the shutter mechanism as the shutter can fire. Any ideas how to tackle the electrics and where to look to repair this problem?

Thanks - Martin

Jackson

Posted on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have firsthand experience with the ML, but I'm familiar with a similar problem in others, such as the GL. The shutter mechanisms in these need lubrication in order to perform reliably. With age, or without the proper lubrication, they stick and exhibit the intermittant shutter you've described. It appears as a reluctance to open at fast shutter speeds, and may eventually affect not only 1/500, but also 1/250 and 1/125. I don't know of any direct relationship between this problem and the aperture priority/automatic modes.

Sorry, I don't have details on the exact pieces that need lubrication, or how to disassemble the shutter. Maybe someone else here can direct you to a site with additional info.

Jeremy

Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 09:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What Jackson said is correct. I've done such a repair myself. It's complicated to describe, but briefly:

You work from the back. Remove back, remove black cone around lens, remove film gate and look at the mechanism top right of the lens. See how the shutter/aperture is cocked? Use a loupe if you can't. There is a slit, out of which protrudes a tiny lever that controls the shutter. You have to drop lighter fluid into this slit, work the lever and soak it back up. First disengage the spring on the lever. Repeat until shutter works at all speeds. It took me an entire evening. Test it again the next day and if still intermittent, repeat procedure ad infinitum.

Martin

Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Jeremy - I'll give this a go this weekend.
Regards - Martin

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration