Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Copal Shutter -Yaschica D Tlr Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Copal Shutter -Yaschica D Tlr « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rehan

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This camera was working good until I discovered something like fungus in the front of rear element of taking lens (Yashikor 80 mm). Took the cover out, unscrewed front lens, cleaned rear lens
and while assembling DROPPED a tiny screw into shutter mechanism assembly through self timer slot. Like an idiot, tried to shake it out but now it seems to have gone deeper and lodged somewhere. I have now lost sleep and still kicking myself at this idiotic carelessness. Everthing works ok like shutter cocking, self timer, etc. but I need help to dismantle the copal shutter assembly and remove that screw. Is it difficult or maybe a CLA by a technician is required ? I assume CLA also includes dismantling of shutter mechanism ? Please help! Thanks.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

rick

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 09:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't panic; it's not terribly difficult, and trying to shake the screw out was probably the right thing to do... your alternative was no less than what you'll have to do now, it was worth a try.

First you have to remove the front panel; the screws holding it on are hidden under the leather next to the lenses (the leather will probably crack when you try to remove it, and you'll have to cut some replacement pieces... materials are available for this).

Once the front panel is off, you can see the front of the shutter. It has a front panel that is usually held on with a retaining ring around the lens, often locked by a little D shaped screw head thing that you release by turning a half turn. unscrew the ring, lift off the front panel and the shutter speed setting ring. sometimes there is a loose piece along one edge, which creates the click-stops - if yours is like this, observe carefully where this was located. some also have a loose link from the self timer, watch for that too.

Now the whole front of the shutter is wide open. you can probably tip the camera forward and gently shake the screw out.

As long as you're in there, you can clean the speed timer with a drop or two of lighter fluid (if it's a removable module you can dunk it, but that usually isn't necessary and it entails readjusting it when you put it back in).

I have some stuff on the basic shutter construction here: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-55.html

I probably ought to add something more specific to TLRs.....

:)=

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration