Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Spots & Haze on Canon QL17 front lens... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Spots & Haze on Canon QL17 front lens...How do I remove it..?? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ken

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 09:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have 2 Canon QL17 GIII cameras and both have spots & haze or fungus on front lens...Does anything actually remove this.? I have done a search and see that everything from snake oil, nose oil & Ponds Cold creme is recommended but does anything really work?? Has anyone actually cleaned or removed haze or spots or fungus from a lens.? and if so, HOW??? Yes I know that I can go to E-bay and buy another camera, But that is where I got these and I do not need more problems.

Winfried

Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 07:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have cleaned quite a few lenses, more or less successfull. I usually use vinegar but this may damage older coatings which are very soft. I once cleaned off a tiny spot of fungus from a Canonet lens without leaving any traces - actually the fungus 'web' vanished as soon as I approached the vinegar-soaked q-tip.

However, asking for recipes to remove fungus is like consulting doctors: ask 5 of them and you will hear at least 6 different opinions.

rick oleson

Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 07:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It hasn't seemed to me to be especially difficult to clean fungus from a lens. If it has already damaged the glass, of course, you can't clean off the damage; and there will probably be some fungus still living inside the lens barrel, so you need to keep an eye on it and not let it get started on the glass again....

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 09:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have used a mixture of equal parts household amonia and hydrogen peroxide, vinegar and ponds cold cream. All of those work without damange to the lens. I don't like the cold cream method because you then have to get that cold cream off the lens. :) The amonia and hydrogen peroxide is a what I normally use.

As Winfried pointed out, older lenses with soft coating are difficult to clean without damage, but on later cameras like the Canonette there shouldn't be a problem.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration