Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minox B meter cover removal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Minox B meter cover removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tony Duell

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Minox B Subminiature camera, and I need to get inside the exposure meter section. I can trivially separate it (with the film loading cover) from the rest of the camera, and there's a thin black plastic sheet over the 'inside end' that I can hook out too.

After that, I am stuck. Tomosy's 'Book 1' suggests the cover is just glued on, and can just be pulled off, but I can't move it with reasonable force. I've also tried to unscrew the flash socket, but it doesn't seem to come out, or loosen the cover.

Any ideas?

James

Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've never done it, but I've been told that the meter housing is indeed glued onto the back plate. You need to apply heat to soften the glue. The trick is to use only enough heat to do the job without melting the meter window. Some have reported success using a small propane micro-torch. Others have used an electric iron of some type. I've never been brave enough to try it myself.

James

Tony Duell

Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks. I'll give that a try. I have a hot-air gun which I can try first (it gets hot enough to shrink heat-shrink sleeving), if that doesn't do it, I have an assortment of good soldering irons...

Brian Williams

Posted on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the heat doesn't work, try alcohol (shellac thinner). I have worked on B's where the cover has come off because the "glue" dried out, and I believe is is just shellac. It does soften and wipe off when soaked in alcohol.

I don't know whether a dunking would damage the selenium cell -- I doubt it would hurt the meter mechanism. Probably better to first try injecting alcohol between the cover and bottom plate with an insulin needle.

Once you do get inside, be very careful not to touch or damage the coil springs supporting the meter needle. They are extremely fragile. The top coil will be exposed when you remove the cover, and the bottom one if you unscrew the meter from the bottom plate.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration