Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

General repair book recommendation Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » General repair book recommendation « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've seen info on several different camera repair books, but I'm no closer to deciding which one would be best for me. If I could get one book, what would you recommend? Currently, the only camera repair work I've done is to adjust the rangefinder on my Yashica Electro 35 GT. I also have a Argus C3, Mamaya Super 23, and a couple modern SLR's. I hope to add the following to my collection in the future: Canonet GIII QL17, possibly a Zorki 4 or something similar, some kind of 6x6 folder, etc. Is there a camera repair book that would be perfect for me to get going? Thanks!

Mike

Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would recommend going back to the main page, selecting "books" and clicking the link at the bottom of the page for Henry's recommendations.

Jim Brokaw

Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 12:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You probably can't find everything you need in one book. Thomosy's books are OK, there isn't a great depth of detail but he covers a bunch of older cameras. The old Society of Photo Technologist magazines are very good, but hard to find and sometimes expensive when you do turn them up. Factory manuals are available, sometimes for free download, other times for sale. These can be problematic as they often assume a high level of existing skill, experience with earlier models, and a stock of factory parts and special tools on hand. I don't particularly care for the many sellers of photocopies of manuals, it seems like some infringment of the manufacturer's rights at least, as well as sometimes being a ripoff... but it may be the only way to get the necessary information. I've thought of scanning the repair manuals I do have and offering them for post somewhere to be available free... surely wouldn't be infringment on the many sellers of photocopy manuals, would it... more like turnabout, fair reward. Its a pity the library doesn't carry more of the repair volumes we seek... At least you can sometimes find the 'retail' books (e.g. Thomosy, etc) at the library.

rick oleson

Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like Thomas Tomosy's books, Volume 1 and 2... there are other useful books, but imho these offer more good points in fewer pages than any others i've seen. They tend to be generic, with some notes on specific models but probably not all you need. Personally, I seldom use manuals for the basic reason that I work on too many different kinds of cameras and don't repeat a single model enough to want to spend the money on its manual - but there are some exceptions. Mostly I take my own notes as I go and make sketches so I'll remember how to get through it next time. Some of these are posted at http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-27.html for anyone who might find them useful....

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration