Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Spotmatic Shutter Bounceback? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Spotmatic Shutter Bounceback? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeremy

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 03:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I received a black Spotmatic SP I bid on today. To preface my question: This is a great camera! It's much more refined than the monstrosities the Konica Autoreflexes and electronic Fs are. The lenses are petite compared to the Hexanons.

I did notice something though. The shutter clockwork seems to suffer from "bounceback" at both 1/30s and 1/60s. After the shutter has gone through its travel, I can hear gears bouncing around a little. This only happens in the two shutter speeds as mentioned.

Is this normal? If it isn't, what could the fault be -- gummed up grease? The camera works fine; I'm not opening up this beauty anytime soon. But when I do (I seem to need to open up every one of my cameras every now and then to correct things) I want to address this problem, if it is one.

Thanks.

Berk Sirman

Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 04:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It happens on my newly CLAd spotmatic at 1/30. Moreover it happens at 1/15 and 1/30 in my Yashicas. It is nothing to worry about. All the above cameras work fine.

Jeremy

Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Berk.

Another question: I now notice that the meter switch does not return to switch itself off after an exposure. The meter keeps metering after an exposure and I have to switch off the meter myself. According to the manual, this isn't normal. I've looked in the archives but similar problems have involved the mirror not going through the full stroke. My mirror is perfectly OK. It's just the switch.

What do I do to repair this? There is no mention of this problem in the Spotmatic repair manual and I cannot access Rick Oleson's website for reasons beyond me.

Thanks.

Berk Sirman

Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The camera needs CLA. If the only problem is the meter switch not returning then it is fine. Junk builds up around the meter switch and between the switch and the lever that pushes the aperture pin on the lens. It is not a simple repair.

Actually I had the same problem and many more with my spotmatic. Check this photo.net thread and click on my name there to see more threads where I needed help with the spotmatic problems.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=008mz1

I finally had to send the camera to Mark Hama in Atlanta for CLA. FYI I live in Sweden!

Berk Sirman

Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suggest you join the spotmatic group on yahoo. There are very helpful people there who know everything, I mean EVERYTHING, about spotmatics.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spotmatic/

Jeremy

Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks Berk. I've joined the group and have posted my first impressions of the Spotmatic, comparing them with the Konica SLRs I've used for several years.

I don't think I'll ask them about the switch though. I think I know how to repair it now. I need to peel back the leatherette halfway, remove the top and remove the front lens-mount plate. The switch mechanisms are right under it. I suppose its a case of cleaning away old grease and relubricating and/or bending the proper springs slightly.

Looks like the Spotmatic won't be an exeption to what I wrote above about having to eventually open up every camera I've owned to correct things.

FYI, I'm based in Germany!

Thanks again.

Cheers!
Jeremy

Steve Roberts

Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 07:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jeremy,
I had this problem on an SP1000 and ended up cleaning the mechanism but although it was better (switched off sometimes instead of never) it didn't cure it. I ended up by taking a turn off a small coil spring held in tension when the switch is "on" and whose job it is to return the switch to the "off" position. It's been fine ever since.
Good luck!
Steve

Jay

Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 09:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Berk,
I just paid good money to purchase used Nikon F2AS. Everything looks and works great except that the shutter doesn't open up (sometimes it does)to expose the lense attached on every 2nd consecutive releases. I'm assuming this is a problem with shutter release mechanism. I would like to find out from you if this is a problem that can be easily fixed and how much I can expect to spend extra on the repair.

Thank you
Jay

Berk Sirman

Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jay

I dont know anything about Nikons but it sounds like a shutter problem due to lack of lubrication or a loose spring or something. I am sure any qualified repairman can easily repair it w/no problems. I guess your camera is much more expensive than any of my cameras so it's worth paying $50-100 for an overhaul. I recently had two cameras overhauled by Mark Hama (for $156 total) but they were different brands. I guess he can fix your Nikon too but I suggest asking the forum members whom they recommend for Nikon repairs. I suggest you create a new forum entry for this. Good luck, Berk

Kim

Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jeremy,
One of my Spotmatics had the same problem. I took the front box off and tried to clean it. It wasn't that succesful. If you do take the front off be very careful with the brass washers used to get the correct spacing or your focus will be out. If you need a good repairer in Europe, I can reccomend Michael Spencer in Derby UK. He only charges £30 + carriage for a full CLA on a Spot (£36.50 in UK but this included return carriage)and does a fantastic job. You can get him via http://www.btinternet.com/~camerarepairer/.

Regards
Kim

Joshua

Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 01:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day from Down Under (Australia),

I have a Spotmatic f and the mirror ocassionally locks up. Do any of you know how to rectify this problem?

Cheers,

Joshua

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration