Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kiev 88 shutter curtain repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Kiev 88 shutter curtain repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

chase

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 07:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi again everyone this is camera two in my diy repair shop...sigh and this one i was totally burned on from a camera shop I won't mention.

camera - keiv 88 (un-modified)

problem - shutter curtain does not close all the way when advancing the film which exposes the film as it advances.

I'll give a short sinopsis of how this problem acurred - being new to medium format - I was shown a used Keiv 88 as a starter camera - fine except in the end i payed double it's value and got less than I should have and when the camera dealer was showing me how to load the film he was having trouble and forced the advance. I had to leave do to a death in the family and didn't get to use it for a year - in advancing the shutter with the back off I notice the curtain didn't close all the way - and too late for a return though he did say he buy it back for a fair price since he knew I didn't use it. several hundred under what I paid for it. sigh...welcome to medium format...lesson learned.

so onto repairing it...anyone one with repair manual I could take a look at? - any suggestions on how to go about repairing this? special tools needed?

TIA for any help with this
chase

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi chase:

i've come up against the hasselblad 1000F, which is the camera that the Kiev 88 was based on. it's not an experience i ever hope to repeat. i think i struggled with it on and off for about 18 months, finally settling for putting it back together in the same operating-but-not-quite-right condition as when i started. i hope someone else has had a better experience and can help you out, but all i can advise is to get out of it what you can and look for a simpler, serviceable camera such as a Kiev 60 or a Praktisix. it is definitely not a project for a beginner.

sorry : ( =

Chase

Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 09:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks rick - but I'm determined to try to fix it. after word got out about what happened at this camera shop another shop (Wolf)was nice enough to sell me a Mamiya RB67 for $300 with 90mm lense and extra back. few hundred less than I payed for the Keiv 88 and got more. I replaced all the light seals and it works beatifully. and a lot of other independent stores at the camera show helped out as well with parts for the Mamiya. Aparrently the other store had a reputation for doing what he did.

still hoping for a service manual for the keiv 88...

Jorge Lorenzón

Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Chase, here you´ll find some usefull information www.kievaholic.com/tentok88.html
Good luck.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration