Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica electro gtn battery problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Yashica electro gtn battery problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jessicawong

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 08:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi, i recently got another gtn, but this one doesnt respond to the fresh batteries.. i opened up the base and see that the wires are still not corroded. i also removed the battery check test plate and the wires underneath looked like they were still soldered on and not corroded.. i even tried to test the bulb mode and at different aperture settings but the camera seemed to only give its default shutterspeed... the battery test light needless to say does not respond too.. any advice? thanks a lot..

Jackson

Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The circuit that drives the battery test light is located on the small PC board next to the battery compartment under the bottom plate. There's not much to go wrong in this circuit, and considering everything else is dead also, it sounds as though you have a basic continuity problem. I would suggest that you double check to be sure a) the battery polarity is correct and b) the battery cap doesn't have a paper label that's preventing the positive end of the battery from making contact. If this is OK, check continuity between each terminal of the holder and the battery test board. I think that will point to the problem.

Winfried

Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 03:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In most cases it is the wire on the UPPER terminal of the battery chamber which is corroded, and if there is no contact the camera will be dead.

Remove the top cover. There is a white wire leading to the right (under the viewfinder). Cut it as close as possible to the meter assembly, remove the bottom cover and remove the battery chamber. Check the upper solder point. If it shows signs of corrosion, take a long new wire, peek it through the slots below the viewfinder and solder it to the battery terminal. Reassemble the battery chamber and solder the new wire to the left overs of the old one. It is better to replace it completely but it is not easy to solder on the meter pc board.

jessicawong

Posted on Monday, November 08, 2004 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello, thanks for all replies. winfried, you are right, it was the wire on the upper terminal of the battery chamber.. however that wire in question has become corroded and no long attached to the pcb at the top, along with the other white wire. i dont feel confident enough to try to solder this or a new wire back to the board for fear of destroying the other connections and wires so i guess ill have to send this in for repair. thanks for all the help! :)

charlie stobbs

Posted on Monday, November 08, 2004 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jessica, Winfried. I had a Yashica Electro 35 GSN with a similar problem and the corrosion had continued on along from the pad to the battery check wire. I repaired by pulling out the battery compartment spring, feeding a single strand wire down through resulting hole in the battery compartment, forming a loop inside, and taking the other end up through the camera to the circuit board pad snipping off the old wire and attaching the new wire to the pad using a small blob of conductive epoxy from an automobile rear window defroster repair kit. (I also snipped off the corroded wire to the battery check light.) I then pushed the old spring back into the battery compartment to make contact with the new wire. The camera now works although I don't have the first roll of film back yet. Of course the battery check light no longer works. Any way for people like me with a shaky soldering hand there is an alternative.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration