Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Lynx 5000 shutter lubrication and more Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Lynx 5000 shutter lubrication and more « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Berk Sirman

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 08, 2004 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Today I got my Yashica Lynx 5000 with the shutter frozen with old grease. Only B works and all others sound like 1/1000 sec. I guess the shutter selector works but cant change the gear inside to the necessary position. How will I clean this shutter? Lighter fluid? Where should I apply it in the shutter? How much? The self timer is also frozen with grease.

The little plastic window above the lightmeter on the top plate has a little scratch. Is there a way to fix that?

The Yashica logo on the top plate (facing front) is missing. I have a spare Lynx 5000 top plate but I do not know how to remove the logo tag from that one. Does it come off with heat?

Thank you very much

Berk Sirman

Winfried

Posted on Monday, November 08, 2004 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is an article concerning the Lynx5000 in the repair article section. In case both the speed escapement and the self timer are gummed you have to clean all gears you find inside the shutter. It's better to remove those subassemblies but sometimes it's sufficient to apply some drops of lighter fluid on them.

There are polishing creams for acrylic resins, maybe you can polish the scratch. I think the creams offered for re-polishing display windows of mobile phones is almost the same stuff.

Berk Sirman

Posted on Monday, November 08, 2004 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Winfried

When I remove the subassemblies won't the little gears in them just fly all over the place? Has anyone tried this before?

I have a parts Lynx camera. Maybe I should explore the shutter assembly on that one first before heading for the new one.

Winfried

Posted on Monday, November 08, 2004 - 11:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are very few shutters where the cover plates of the subassemblies are attached to the shutter bottom plate, i.e. the subassemblies can't be taken off as a whole part. But in shutters following the usual layout there is no danger, provided you loosen the right screws (the ones which hold the gear assembly bottom plate to the shutter). These gear assemblies usually are made of two plates, one on the bottom, one on the top, and the gears and shafts have their bearings in these plates. Both plates are held together by bolts (sometimes these are even riveted).

It's a good idea to exercise on a junker first. However, I would strictly recommend reading the article on the Lynx5000 first, it will give you an idea of how to proceed.

Berk Sirman

Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have read the article on this site plus one other.

Do you know how I can get the little "Yashica" tag off of the spare top plate? Would lighter fluid or alcohol dissolve the glue? But it should not dissolve the letters on it. Maybe heat would get the tag off. The bad thing is it is impossible to get a grip of it, it is glued within a frame on the front of the top plate.

Berk Sirman

Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 04:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I took care of the tag. It came off when heated.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration