Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Question about repair for Zeiss Conta... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Question about repair for Zeiss Contax IIa Color Dial « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ryan Livingston

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 08, 2004 - 09:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Zeiss Ikon Contax IIa Color Dial that is in great cosmetic condition, BUT the shutter doesn't work. When I press the button the curtain just jumps a little...

I want to sell this camera, but I'd rather sell a working camera rather than a non-working camera, so I'd like to get it repaired.

Where should I take it? Should I take it to my local camera shop? Is there a danger they'd mess it up?

I want to get it fixed, but I really don't want to pay more than $160 or so if I can help it.

If I decide to not do it locally, does anyone know someone I can mail it to that is reliable? I found one guy that sounds reliable, but it's over $200. Camerarepair.com looks like $152, but I don't know anything about them...

Anyways thanks for any input!

-Ryan

David Ritchie

Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 05:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ryan..
I had a Contax IIa color dial shutter repaired by Essex Camera Service, 100 Amor Avenue, Carlstat New Jersey phone (201) 933-7272. I was very pleased with the service and the cost at that time, a couple of years ago, was in line with what you want to pay.Incidently, they removed a number of "Zeiss bumps" from the back of another IIa, and reused the leather to save the logo, and you cannot tell that any work was ever done. I think you should contact them.

Mark Pearce

Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 04:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

THE expert repairman for Contax of any sort is Henry Scheer (www.zeisscamera.com/). Not cheap, not at all, but the very best.
Mark P.

John Shriver

Posted on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Henry Scheer points out that bad repairs to a Contax IIa can easily do more harm than good. he prefers working on cameras that haven't been mucked with since they left the factory.

Tim Laur

Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have a 4x5 kodak view camera patented around 1895. the shutter still works. the interior of the camera is a dark red wood. the doors are opened with a push button, however the side door in which the film holders slide no longer snaps closed and hangs open. my primary concern is to find a way to repair the exterior surface which has become flakey & "spotchy?" I would like to fix the push button & especially the exterior covering. what can you suggest on how I can fix it or have it fixed? thanks

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration