Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Praktica mirror/shutter lock up. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Praktica mirror/shutter lock up. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[email protected]

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 08:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I DONT KNOW THE HISTORY BUT HAVE BEEN GIVEN AN PRAKTICA MTL 5 OF WHICH THE MIRROR AND SHUTTER HAVE LOCKED UP. THE CAMERA SEEMS IN GOOD ORDER, NOTHING MISSING, JUST FROZEN IN TIME. IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEA OF HOW I CAN RELESE THE MECHANISM IM SURE IT WOULD MAKE A DECENT CAMERA.
KARL.

Thomas

Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 02:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Karl,

to give a good advice, you provided too less information, unfortunately. So what does it mean, that the shutter "has locked up"? Are the curtains open so that you can look through with the back door opened?
A better description of the current situation is necessary in order to decide if the camera has to be opened or not. It is possible, that some lever-mechanism inside the camera does not work correctly, so that the "procedure" of a shot is not finished as necessary. I have got some pictures and instructions available - so we could possibly find a solution. Feel free to contact me or post some additional description in this forum, please.

Bye,
Th.

Karl

Posted on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Thomas.
"too less information" yes, good point.
The mirror is up. The shutter blades are closed but in the position after winding the wind on lever(this after comparing with my LTL model, which is fully working)The wind on lever is where it should be after wind on.The shutter button will depress but nothing happens.The meter/stop down button will move but without the usual resistance.The self timer lever is down and if you try to move it it simply springs back to the off position.I have removed the base plate and taken a look ONLY, nothing is loose or seems to be missing.
Hoping for help,
Karl

Terry Scott

Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 05:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As a by-the-way, I have an Exakta RTL 1000, which is virtually a Praktica VLC with an Exakta mount - and this has a very similar problem. (Was given it for-free last week.) I too would like to hear ideas on how to solve the same problem: if you wind the shutter, it fires instantly (without touching the release) and the mirror locks up. Sometimes it will do it again, sometimes it works normally. Can anyone tell me how to get the top cover off - how to remove the shutter dial and wind lever?

bram holland

Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 08:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a praktica vlc(1974 model) with exactly thew same problem. The shutter works but the mirror stays at locked position and therefor the shutter is released just by winding the the filmtransport.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration