Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Miranda 135mm - fungus???? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Miranda 135mm - fungus???? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ezio

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just got a Miranda 135mm tele in absolutely immaculate conditions, but with what seems to be a totally unknown (to me) type of fungus. The lens themselves are not affected, but the whole of the internal barrel behind the front lens is covered with countless small white dots which look exactly like a fungus growth on a petri dish. Has anyone ever encountered this? In any case, how do I proceed to remove the front lens and clean this mess?

Winfried

Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sometimes aluminium gets some kind of 'pocks' when stored in a humid environment for a long time. Many lens barrels are made from aluminium. The only way to remove this corrosion is to sand and to repaint the surface.

rick oleson

Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, these are aluminum oxide - aluminum's version of rust. it can get pretty bad if bare aluminum is stored in the damp, but it isn't fungus and it's basically a cosmetic issue if it isn't on moving parts.

Ezio

Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 01:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you both - vey interesting. The seller says that the lens spent the whole of its life at Lake Tahoe, i.e. in a very dry/high altitude climate that would seem the least conductive of this type of corrosion. Also, Rick: why "a cosmetic issue"? You mean that there is no internal reflection from these white spots?

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 06:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ezio:

I suppose they could if they get that bad, depending on where they're located. What I was thinking of is that they do not threaten your glass like fungus would. I'm not familiar with the construction of that particular lens, but in most cases to get into the barrel you would unscrew the front ID ring (does it have spanner slots in it?) and then you can probably unscrew the front cell of the lens, exposing the interior of the barrel from the diaphragm forward. The diaphragm itself may then be removable; in some lenses this comes out as a neat modular subassembly, in others it's a handful of nasty loose parts once you unfasten it. The rear cell and remaining diaphragm linkage usually are removed from the rear.

:)=

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration