Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

CONTAFLEX SLOW SPEED TRAIN CLEANING Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » CONTAFLEX SLOW SPEED TRAIN CLEANING « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

R COLLETT

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI,
IS THERE ANY WAY OF CLEANING THE
SLOW SPEED/SELF TIMER TRAINS
ON A CONTAFLEX WITHOUT
DISMANTLING THE CAMERA?
REGARDS, ROY.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Roy.
Not very well. Unfortunately. You can dribble a little naphtha in there, but invariably you'll get it on the shutter/aperture blades. Usually, it requires dismantling to get it right. Which model do you have?

Jon

R COLLETT

Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI, JON.
I HAVE I THINK A MODEL 3
INTERCHANGABLE TESSAR NO LIGHT METER.
WHEEL WIND ON.
AND A SUPER B(APATURE WHEEL ON FRONT)
I THINK I AGREE WITH YOU AS I CAN'T
FIND ANY OPENINGS TO INTRODUCE
A CLEANING FLUID.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Roy.
Sounds like a model 3. I wish I could offer more encouraging news, but it isn't going to be easy to make any solvent run in there without getting onto the shutter/aperture blades and from there to the lens elements. The problem is the solvent will flow onto the lens elements with dissolved oil and trash in it, and that isn't a good thing. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but what you really need is a small droplet of solvent carefully placed, and you just can't get in there to place it without some disassembly. If you can remove the lens elements you can flush enough solvent in there to make things work again, but sometimes that is not easy, and you should never remove the rear element from Contaflex models III and above. The likelihood of getting it back in the proper alignment is slim, and the picture quality will suffer. (In early models, the rear element is fixed into its mount, but in newer models it "floats", and a mistake of just a few degrees will elminate that great Z-I sharpness)

Jon

R COLLETT

Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

THANKS JON,
I THINK I'LL LEAVE IT ALONE
REGARDS, ROY.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration