Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta SRT 201: Dead Light Meter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Minolta SRT 201: Dead Light Meter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Blaine

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 07:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an old Minolta SRT 201. The Light meter seems to be dead. The needle does not move from the top no matter what the light is. The needle will move only when a battery check is performed and it reads that the battery is good, as I have just recently replaced it. Is there a way to fix this myself? And yes, I have turned it on.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 07:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might remove the bottom plate and check to be sure the switch is making connection. The switch in this camera was pretty basic. I've seen some which had working meters that just couldn't be turned on.
Jon

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another common problem is a sticky meter mechanism. The rubber bumbers that check the needle movement often soften and stick to the meter needle. You can easily check for this condition when you have the top off the camera.

Lee Crump

Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 11:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The devices that measure the light are just under the top cover of your camera. These two devices look like small grey buttons with two wires coming out of each one. These devices are variable resistors; as light strikes them their resistance drops. After you remove the top cover you can trace a wire coming from the inside front of the camera body to a small PCB, a second wire from the PCB to the first button, a third wire from the first button back to the PCB, and a fourth wire from the PCB to the second button, a fifth wire from the second button back to the PCB and a sixth wire from the PCB back inside the camera.
Troubleshooting will require a multimeter. A multimeter with clip leads will work best. Such a device is not too expensive and can be found at most electronic stores.
First, with the switch on the bottom of the camera set to ON, measure for a voltage between the first and sixth wires. This voltage should be very close to voltage measured directly from the battery. If you get low or no voltage check the switch and wireing inside the bottom plate of the camera.
Next check for varying resistance between the second and third wires as you intermitantly shine a flashlight in the camera. This will check that the first button is responding to light.
Repeat the previous step with the foruth and fifth wires to check the second button.
If either of these two fails replace the button. My first pair of buttons I got for $40. Subsiquent parts were obtained from junker/ parts cameras bought on ebay/camera shows. ($20 -$25 / camera)
Lastly check contanuity between wires 1&2,3&4, and 5&6. This will isolate flaky/cracked solder joints. If you find this problem remelt the solder joints.

Best of luck.
I'll check back in a few to see if you have any more questions.

Sam

Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Blaine,

Did you try to press the Depth of view button, you may need to unlock that button, make sure you also pull the film rewind lever, and turn the switch at the bottom to 'on' position. Sometime it would be only you don't know how to use it. Merry Christmas

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration