Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashicamat D Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Yashicamat D « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

richb

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yashicamat D questions:
Need some help with a Yashicamat D. The Copal MXV shutter needs a proper cleaning and I’m having trouble removing the assembly from the lens board. Front and rear lens elements came out easily enough. The “taking lens barrel”/lens tube is stuck good. Whatever that coating on the lens tube is, it’s real tough, and holding on real tight to the shutter assembly. Paint thinner, acetone, heat have had no effect. I cut two small notches on the inner part of the lens tube, at the point where it contacts the lens board/shutter, with a rotary tool and tried a spanner, still stuck good. Any suggestions? Left hand or right hand in case it needs a strap tool and a vise? – which I’d rather not risk if there is a better way.

I would also like to inspect the focus and film advance and clean/lube if needed. The focus knob came off easily enough, the film advance set screw is not budging. Anyone know if that fastener (the set screw), is left hand or right hand? The decorative button came off easily with a spanner.

FYI: for those who are seeing stiff/tight dial controls for the shutter and aperture, this D had some serious corrosion on the brass aperture and speed dial gears and spacer (“middle liner”). (The MXV shutter, when working properly has a real smooth aperture control and nice sharp detents on the speeds.) Some careful cleaning and polishing with Brasso solved that issue. Coated the “gear plates” and spacer with a little dry graphite w/moly (Woodland Scenics Hob-E-Lube) from a model RR hobby shop, and a careful tightening/adjusting of the bayonet nuts smoothed up that control assembly very nicely (and cleaned out the assembly to keep any extra graphite from getting on the lens).
Note: The set screws holding the small gears are left hand. Those gears were too tight on their shafts to remove so I let them be. Shouldn’t need to adjust them if everything is put back the way it was.

Any hints or things to watch for when working on the Yashicamat D ?

Thanks

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the stuff toward the bottom of this page help at all?

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-158.html

I think the retaining ring/tube at the rear of the shutter should be a RH thread. Do you NEED to get the shutter off of the lensboard?

:)=

richb

Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick - thanks for the quick reply! Yes your TLR drawings and postings on shutters are MOST helpful. I'm also using the diagrams for the "D" posted in the repair manuals section. No I don't need to remove the shutter from the lensboard. If I can't safely remove the retaining ring/tube and since the lens's are safely removed, I'll do a flush with naptha. (I've found out the hard way, that if I can, it's best to inspect and clean - if needed, as much of these mechanisms as is possible.)

Regards,
Rich

H. Schwethelm

Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Yashica EM and the Self timer is stuck.
Can anyone help.? Thanks

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration