Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Baby Rollei, Magnifier information ne... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Baby Rollei, Magnifier information needed. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Miles

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I just bought a Baby Rollei (4x4, 127 film). However, it is missing the magnifier lens for the waist level finder. If any one has this camera with said lens, could I trouble you for the following information.

1) What type of lens is it? I.e. cemented doublet, plano-convex, double convex, etc.

2) Dimensions and mounting details.

3) Focal length, as best you can guess.

Any of the above information will help me find a replacement. My guess is it is a plano convex lens with flat side up. The focal length would be less than the screen lens distance because the screen has a finite focal length itself. I am assuming that these elements form an afocal system.

Love to know items 1-3, or if I am wrong in my assumptions.

rick oleson

Posted on Friday, November 19, 2004 - 06:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have one handy but I'm sure it's not a doublet; I think you're right about it being a flat-up plano-convex, but a double convex is also a possibility.

The focal length would be slightly MORE than the distance to the screen to keep the system afocal, otherwise your eye won't be able to focus on the screen.

Are you missing the entire frame, or just the glass?

:)=

David Ritchie

Posted on Friday, November 19, 2004 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The lens is flat or very, very slightly concave on the top and convex on the bottom. The lens has been ground to form 4 straight edges just enough to fit into a square metal frame which has a 23mm opening. Sorry I cannot help with focal length.

miles

Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick, David,

Thank you very much. I have the frame I just need the lens. Thanks for the description, dimensions and the point about eye releif.

David Ritchie

Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Miles,
I read your last posting and my wording on size may mislead you. The opening in the frame which you look thru is 23mm. The glass is about 29mm top to bottom and side to side. The corners are ground off to give the same 29mm. Therefore you can think of the glass as a 29mm square with the corners ground to 29mm across also. You will note that this lens slides out easily, only held by a couple of clips.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration