Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Retina II focus adjustment Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Retina II focus adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Tan

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, November 19, 2004 - 10:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need to adjust my Retina II's infinity focus. However, I could not find any anything on the lens nor focus ring to carry out this adjustment.
Any hint will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Winfried

Posted on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 03:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not sure whether it's similar on the II models. But on my Retina Ia you have to remove the lens barrel to adjust the focus. The outer focus ring is linked to the nut (female thread) of the focus helical via some screws in oversized holes. But all this is covered by the lens barrel.

AFAIK on the IIc/IIIc models proper focussing is done by placing shims between the shutter assembly and the focussing helical.

Dave Swain

Posted on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 08:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just did a Retina 2A. You have to remove the lens assembly to reach the 4 screws holding the focus ring in place.
This is done by, removing the rear lens assembly and the slotted retainer holding the lens barrel.

Here is an excellant site for DIY on Retina's.
http://rawhiti.tripod.com/

Michael Tan

Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 07:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Dave and Winfried,it looks like it is going to be a handful of work on this camera.
Chris's webpage is a good guide.

Mark Pearce

Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Michael;
Retinas aren't that tough, just a bit fiddley. I've used a IIa since 1984, and built a second out of two junkers. Chris's site is an outstanding resource.
Is the lens out of focus at infinity, or the RF?
Mark P.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration