Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet QL17 Battery Question Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Canonet QL17 Battery Question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kim

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 08:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I have just got a Bell & Howell/Canon QL17. It is one of the earlier large models. I wient to put a battery in it to check the meter and instead of finding the usual shallow "625" hole, I found a much depper one. The battery cover screws on rather than a my other Canonets which only turn about 1/6 -1/4 turn. The battery looks as though it should be about 5/8" deep as well as being 5/8" in diameter. My first thought was 2 625 but the cover shows 1 batery and says 1.3v. Can anybody help with what sort of battery this should be?

charlie

Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Probably an old mercury battery, no longer available.
The size is not important, the voltage is. You can probably use a zinc/air 1.4 volt hearing aid battery with enough spacers to make it fit.

Kim

Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 09:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Charlie,
I realise about the voltage. One thought was to use a 1/3AA NiCd or NiMh rechargeable. This would give about 1.25v which is fairly close and save all the spacers. Any thoughts?

Kim

charlie

Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 02:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kim,
Sounds good. I am not familiar with them. Zinc/airs have a fairly constant voltage until they die.
Alkalines keep dropping in voltage. You might check the two types you mention to see how they age.
Charlie

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i remember a battery the same diameter as a 625 but twice as thick - i think it was called #640. there's an alkaline replacement available here: http://www.photobattery.com/#s400 ... don't know how voltage sensitive that meter is. i think the biggest zinc/air cell in that range is probably the 675, so there's a lot of space to make up. on the other hand, there's lots of room to rig up a voltage-dropping spacer for an s76 silver cell...

: ) =

Kim

Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 04:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I think I have found the answer. The original cell was an MR50 and an alkaline replacement is the A1PX. Here's a UK link. www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_lr50.htm
They do an adapter but at £27.50 ($50)I think I will try something else!
As the battery is 16 x 16.5mm and the NiMh is 14 x 16, I will try one of those as I can get one for less than $2. Voltage may be a bit on the low side but it's worth a try especially as they are rechargeable :-)

Kim

charlie

Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are there any easy ways to put zinc/air batteries in parallel in a large cavity? It ought to be possible but I haven't worked it out yet.

kim

Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 04:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Charlie,
You could probably get 3 bateries in there but t wouldn't do any good other than put a hole in the wallet. The zinc airs run out of capacity in time as well as usage. The drain on the battery is so small, it is likely that the battery will die from age rather than exhaustion so it would just cost 2 or 3 times as much and would only last the same entgh of time.

Kim

charlie stobbs

Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 03:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kim,
I've never really pushed the batteries but always wondered for a week's vacation, exposing 3 or 4 rolls of 36 exposure if one battery would last. I've used one over a month on just one roll of film with no problem so I was more concerned with usage than time.
Charlie

Guy

Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kim, On my Canon QL17, I went to a Home Depot hardware store, bought some aquarium tubing that would hold the zinc air battery 625 snugly, cut it to size to fit in the battery hole, stuffed the battery in one end, making sure it would make a good contact, and filled the balance of tubing with tin foil,again making sure the tin foil made good contact.Seems to work for me. I replace the zinc air every month.Cost for batteries is about $12 Canadian per year. Hope this helps.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration