Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Konica FS-1 mirror sticking Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Konica FS-1 mirror sticking « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob Enns

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My girlfriend inherited this camera from her father. Apparently it was the first to have a bult in motor winder. It also has a great 57mm lens but, the mirror locks up every second frame. The result is every second frame is spoiled. Otherwise the camera works well. I have noticed that the mirror does not lock up with the lense removed. I have also tried the standard 28mm lens with the same results.

It goes like this: I look through the viewfinder, focus and press the shutter release. The shutter worksand film advances, but now the mirror is stuck in the up position, I can see nothing through the viewfinder. I have checked this by removing the lens to have a look. I press the shutter release again and the shutter works and film advances, and this time the mirror is returned to it's functional position. When the film was processed, all frames were exposed, but every second frame has a wide overexposed strip through it.

I wonder if I am missing something obvious? This happens with or without flash attached.

Thanks in advance,
Bob Enns, Kelowna BC Canada

Dave Rivera

Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Bob,
1) Make sure you use fresh batteries of the same make.
2) With the lens removed and fresh batteries installed and the switch on. Holding the camera firmly give it a whack on the its bottom in the palm of your other hand. If it doesn't work try padding the top of a table with newspapers and again whack its bottom. It might take a couple of tries. (It worked on my Konica FT-1)
3) If you have no luck then check out groups.yahoo.com/group/konicaslr for some possible advice. (Queries require joining the group. yahoo's rules.)
Good luck,
Dave

Bob Enns

Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 07:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the tip Dave.
My girlfriend says that if I whack her dad's camera on the bottom, she's going to whack me on the bottom. Sounds like a fair trade to me so I'll be trying it for sure. I assume I should be doing this when the mirror is stuck in the up position. I was also wondering about cleaning and lubricating, but I hesitate to do anything that might cause any damage.
I'll report back on the camera whacking.
Bob

Bob Enns

Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It worked!!! Now we can enjoy the camera.
Thanks for that. I wouldn't have tried it on my own.
I used to have an old car with a bum headlight. If it wouldn't turn on or was dim I'd just give it a whack with the palm of my hand right beside the headlight. It kept getting harder to make it work and I'd have to hit harder each time. One day I gave it a whack and the headlight fell out onto the road and broke into a hundred pieces. So I have not used the whacking system a lot since then other than on old TVs.
Thanks again. What a great group.
Now it's my turn to get my bottom whacked.
Bob

daniel roeder

Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 08:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I read your message and had the same problem with my favorite FS-1. It seized while taking my friends wedding pictures. I did just what you said and I now have a usable camera after 2 years of inactivity. Thanks for the advice I owe you one!
Thanks

John-Erling Holmenes Fredriksen

Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 08:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This just saved my day...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration