Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Chinon CX-II shutter won't fire at so... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Chinon CX-II shutter won't fire at some speeds, locks mirror in up position « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kees Huyser

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Chinon CX-II with a vertical metal shutter which will work at speeds 1/15 and under. Go to 1/30 and it will work sometimes. Go higher and it won't work at all; the mirror is stuck in the UP position and the bottom shutter leave has to be jiggled by hand to bring the mirror down. Often just touching it will close the shutter and bring the mirror down.

If instead of jiggling the bottom shutter leave I rotate the speed dial to 1/15 and cock the winding lever the shutter will free itself and the mirror comes down.

When the mirror is up and the shutter stuck, the winding leaver doesn't work either.

Any idea what could cause this behaviour? And, more importantly, how to cure it?

Thanks in advance.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kees Huyser

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Problem solved; it turned out that the previous owner had treid to lubricate the shutter and there was sticky oil on and between the shutter blades.

I cleaned it out with lighter fluid (zippo) and now all speeds work reliable once again.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration