Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Flashgun problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Flashgun problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

dave english

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a hanimex tz34 which has 2 flash units in one.they have both packed up at the same time, the flash whines as it powers up but neither the test button or the hot shoe cause it to flash.
Anyone got any suggestions I doubt if its worth taking to a repairer,theres one on ebay at the moment.

Werner J. Becker

Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I were you I would get another one, repairers are probably not interested or they charge too much! So do the repair yourself! I recall having had a similar problem once with a Regula variant 618 compact flash, it turned out to be a contact problem caused by a broken /corroded wire inside the unit. If you open yours to check (screws sometimes are hidden under nameplates, etc) make sure you are extra careful not to touch the flash capacitor contacts to avoid electric shocks and put down what you take apart, this is useful for later reassembly, good luck, Werner J.

dave english

Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

trouble is a flash of equivalent power would be V expensive,get the basic electronics testing kit out time.

M Currie

Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think Werner sort of understated the issue with the capacitor. If the capacitor remains charged, it can pack a very painful, some say even lethal, punch. I would not trust myself not to touch the circuitry by accident, but plan on discharging the capacitor before beginning work. You can just short it out with a screwdriver, but you'll get a big spark, and might have to do it several times to ensure it's really discharged. A fat resistor or other load works better, especially if you can leave it clipped to the capacitor while working.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration