Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Miranda fungus (?), again Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Miranda fungus (?), again « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ezio

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 05:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I started a tread down here about a Miranda 135mm lens which suffers from what I originally identified as fungus covering the internal walls of the barrels, and I received good advice pointing at this being rather aluminum corrosion/oxidation. Well, things are more complicated, and I thus reopen a tread because the info might be of some use to somebody other.
I have been able to unscrew the front lens element and remove the second element, which looks like two or three pieces of glass cemented together to form a cylinder some 7-8cm long. The fungus or whatever is not on the metal barrel as I thought; rather, it grows on the flat black painting on the interior of the cylinder's mid element, and thus it must be fungus. However, it seem incapable to affect the free glass. Alternatively it is possible that the painting is simply deteriorating, but in this case there should be chips and flakes everywhere inside the lens.
I don't intend to go through taking the cylinder apart and then recementing its elements, but just for the sake of it, what is likely to happen if I place the f--ed thing in a microwave oven? Not that I'm worried to ruin the lens - but if I cause the microwave to explode I'll be in deep you know what...

Winfried

Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know how an organic cement (as it was used until the 70s or so) will react when put in a microwave oven. But I can't see any reason for this.

However, you can scrape off the black paint on the lens edge and replace it by black matte model craft paint.

Ezio

Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Winfried, "I can't see any reason for this": do you mean that there is no reason to put the lens in microwave (that is, it would not kill fungus), or that there is no reason to fear an explosion? I seem to remember having read that microwaving sealed air spaces might lead to unpleasant consequences. The black paint is on the inside of the lens and is not accesible unless I de-cement it.

Lars

Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please, don´t put cemented lenses in a microwave oven! First of all, trapped moisture or air bubbles WILL cause an explosion. Further more, microwaves will NOT kill fungus, as these organisms are smaller than the wavelength of the microwaves and will not be affected at all.
The best way to remove fungus is to use contact lens cleaning fluid. This is specially formulated to take care of such problems. I have used it now for over two years, and the fungus has not reappeared in the lenses I have cleaned.

Jackson

Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 11:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

> microwaves will NOT kill fungus, as these organisms are smaller than the wavelength of the microwaves and will not be affected at all.

Microwave ovens work on the principle of heating water molecules. The size of the object that contains those molecules is relatively unimportant to the process. If fungus contains water, the water and fungus will be heated.

I agree that placing a lens in the microwave seems an unnecessary risk to both the lens and the oven, not to mention the photographer.

Rob

Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You could try a cat...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration