Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

SX-70 overexposure problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » SX-70 overexposure problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Haydn Williams

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 10:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just got a SX70 (first model, chrome/tan) off ebay and loaded it up with SX70 film, but all the shots seem grossly overexposed. I have even tried putting the adjustment all the way to darken but it still overexposes. Did I buy a dud?

James

Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Make sure you're using the right film. The one to use (if it's still available) is "Time Zero Supercolor". The 600 type film is 4 times faster in speed than what the SX-70 was designed for--and the camera can only be adjusted by +- 1.5 stops. Or you could try using the 600 film with a neutral density filter.

James

Haydn

Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The film I am using is branded 'SX-70 film'. Is this the same ASA as the Time Zero film? This was the only SX70 film I could get in Australia.

M Currie

Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here, by the way, is a neat little site with information on the SX-70, including tricks to use it with faster film:

http://www.chemie.unibas.ch/holder/sxfaq.html#link07

James

Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 08:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

According to the Polaroid web site, the type 600 film is rated at ISO 640 while the Time Zero film is 150. Sounds like you are using the higher speed film which is why it's overexposing. Here's the site to order the film online:

http://shopus.polaroid.com/shop/index.cfm

Haydn

Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The film I am using is SX70 film. The problem is definately with the camera... I ended up finding another SX70 really cheap and put the film from the bad SX70 in the new one and it exposes perfectly. Oh well, at least I have a funky chrome & tan paperweight!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration