Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Fed 5C Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Fed 5C « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rob Holz

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 08:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I received a Fed 5C a month ago. When I first tried it out, I found the rangefinder was somewhat out of adjustment. I took the top off, and I set the rangefinder so that it is perfectly accurate with the numbers on the focus ring. The roll that I shot off after this focuses short of the target distance. Is it possible to shorten the focal distance of the lens? How?

Rob Holz

Posted on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 08:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Addendum:

The lens is an Industar 61.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 09:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Rob.
First, you should make sure the lens itself is correctly set to focus to infinity. Here is an explanation of how to do that:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-123.html

Then, with the lens turned all the way in (for infinity), adjust the rangefinder to agree with it. You can use a distant telephone pole (200 yards out or so), or you can use the moon on a clear night. Once that is done, I think the rest will be pretty accurate.

Good luck,
Jon

John Cribbin

Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rob,

Another thing you need to think about when setting up Russian rangefinders, is that you need to check the lens mounting ring to film plain distance.

Under the lens mounting ring, there are paper washers which are used to set the correct distance. That should sort out the close focus, then you will have to re-adjust for infinity.

I can't think of the correct distance to hand, but the set up procedure is readily available on line. If you go to the Russian camera forum at beststuff.com you will definately find it described there. All the Fed's and Zorki's have the same set up, so it may not show up on a simple Fed 5C search.

Have fun

John

Zygmunt Roslon

Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 11:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello in front of the camera you got plastic cover stripe lift it up ( remove) you will find a hole where there is access to tiny flat screwdriver ...set up you lense on any distance and accordingly regulate your viewfinder to much it regards Zygi

Zygmunt Roslon

Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 12:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...to match it ...( sorry)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration