Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus OM-1[MD] Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Olympus OM-1[MD] « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aaron

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 08:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have picked up an OM-1[MD] which has a jammed shutter. I have to pull out the mirror box to do some cleaning and lubing. I have at hand a service manual for the original OM-1. I believe there are some difference between the internal construction of the OM-1 and OM-1[MD]. Before I proceed further, I would like to know if anyone has experience in this job. Do I have to remove the exposure meter assembly first? Thanks!

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 09:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is no meaningful difference between the OM1 and the OM1(MD); the latter just had minor changes at the bottom and a covered hole in the baseplate to connect the motor drive. many MDs were later upgrades of earlier cameras.

Are you sure that you need to remove the mirror box? the OM1 is not the world's easiest camera for a full disassembly, but some things, like the shutter timing gears, are exceptionally easy to reach (peel off 2 little velvet strips in the bottom corners and lift out the floor of the mirror box). Don't tear the thing apart without checking the easy stuff first.

If you go to remove the meter, remember that you must remove the prism first. I have an OM1 that someone tried to repair and pulled the meter out past the prism, tearing the needle off the meter. Except for being meterless the camera is perfectly sound 15 years later.....

If you can find a National Camera "Camera Craftsman" reprint on the OM1, it will probably be more helpful than the factory service manual.

: ) =

Aaron

Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick for the prompt advice. It is exactly the velvet strip you mentioned which has caused the jam. The camera actually performed quite well after I have cleaned up the bottom part of the mirror box. But alas the velvet strip was not put back firm enough. It has fallen off and got eaten up by the shutter. I believe I have to open up the camera despite it is a tedious task. I wish I can avoid doing this to save the camera. Incidentally Rick, I think there is some difference in the cord coupling in the meter compared with the description in the Camera Craftsman article. I don't see any cord attached to the speed sensing ring. This deviation makes me nervous because I have to remove the meter assembly. Any ideas?

rick oleson

Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just encountered that myself, to my horror, as i opened up the front of my black OM1 thinking it would be similar to the chrome one I had done major work on before. ARRRRGH!!!! i STILL am not sure i have the meter right! there is a tiny pinion gear at the top that couples to both the aperture and shutter rings and the meter cable, and once you disturb it it goes PTWANG and you've lost the whole thing. Only way i figured out to wind it back up to a roughly correct position was to chuck the end of the gear in a pin vise so i could get a grip to turn it... and every time i found it was a stop or two off one way or the other, when i went back to tweak it it went PTWANG again and i had to start over. i can help a LITTLE with that now that i've done it but my first advice is DO NOT screw with the meter coupling stuff under the lens mount of a late model OM1 if you don't have to!

is there any chance of taking up the floor and picking out the velvet bits from there? even if it's tedious, it's probably easier than the disassembly you're contemplating....

:)=

Aaron

Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 07:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick, but your advice has come too late. I have already disturbed the little pinion gear at the top. Can you tell me roughly how many turns you have wound the pinion before putting back the aperture sensing ring? Incidentally the OM-1[MD] I'm working on is also black. It has an [MD] sticker near the sprocket release instead of a plastic badge below the sync selector.
I can't see the piece of velvet with the floor removed. Therefore I have to do it the hard way. Kind regards

rick oleson

Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

urk. email me for a sketch i made during the Great Ordeal.

I've never seen an MD model without the badge at the lower left, except for early conversions (and yours obviously is not one of those ... what's the serial number?)

Aaron

Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick. I'll email you separately. Yes, I've never come across such an OM-1[MD] before. It has a serial number 666836.

Aaron

Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now I have removed the mirror box and notice that the velvet strip is caught in the rolled up closing curtain. Because of this foreign object, the shutter cannot be fully wound. Does anyone know how to release the shutter in this state to enable me take out the strip?
Alternatively,how can I loosen the wound up closing curtain so that I can get the strip out with a pair of tweezers? Any suggestion is deeply appreciated.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration