Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

How do I remove Exakta RTL 1000 top c... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » How do I remove Exakta RTL 1000 top cover? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Terry Scott

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 03:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Someone gave me (free-for-nothing) an Exakta RTL 1000 last Friday. When one winds the shutter, like as not it fires prematurely - without one touching the release button - and the mirror locks up. Wind again and either the cycle repeats or, just maybe, the camera fires normally.

I want to get into the r.h.s. top cover and see what's going on. (I've checked inside the baseplate and all seems okay.) Question: How do I remove the shutter dial and wind lever?

I have some experience in repairing cameras but not a lot, though I want to learn more. My small tools so far are screwdrivers.

Tony Duell

Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's similar to an L-series Praktica (there's a site with dismantling instructions for, IIRC, the MTL3, which is such a camera), but not indentical

Shutter speed dial : Prise (pry, I'm from England :-)) the numbered plate off (it's stuck on). Undo the central screw under it (ignore the little countersunk one) and lift off the knob.

Winding crank : Prise off the film type reminder disk from _inside_ the knob. Remove the tiny E-circip under it and the washers. Unscrew the brass hub (2 holes for a pin-spanner or pliers). Take off the crank (leave the film type knob in place in the crank), remove the washers and trim under it.

Then I think there are 3 screws that hold the cover in place.

To go further, take off the left cover -- unscrew the rewind knob while holding the fork inside the camera, leave the film speed reminder dials in place, take out the screws and remove the cover. Take off the baseplate (4 obvious screws).

You now have to dismantle the frame counter. There's a tiny tension spring between the advance pawl and the locking pawl (front right corner of the camera, on top). Unhook that, then swing out the locking pawl (on top), slide it out of the groove in the spindle. Fiddle the advance pawl and linkage out, slide the complete assembly off the spindle. Take out the screw on the frame counter, remove the pointer. Lift the counter dial and hairspring off together (I find tweezers to be good for this).

The shutter control/timer plate is held down by 3 screws and comes off as a complete assembly. It's best to do this with the shutter wound (it's certainly easier to get it back with the shutter wound).

Then peel off the leatherette from the front of the camera, undo the 4 corner screws on the front casting and pull the front/mirror box out. Again, best to do this (and certainly to refit it) with both the shutter and mirror cocked.

Terry Scott

Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marvellous. Thanks very much. I will attempt this on the weekend.

Col SenRetd

Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 02:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an old (late 30's/early 40's) Ihagee Exacta.Besides the sentimental values attached with it, the camera has produced excellent results for me. I simply love it. Sadly, however, I could not use it the past few years and it is now rusty and jammed at places.
Reading the "above" has given me hope that MY old warhorse CAN run again.Tried a few repairers in Mumbai, no go.
Can any one help???

piotor norton

Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ihagee Exacta

I just got a manual for an Exakta VX IIA from Ed romney.

http://edromney.com/

The repair manual costs $20 plus $6 for shipping.

Unfortunately it refers to things like "screw 300.10.b" and there is no parts breakdown so I have no idea which screw it is. I'll call them tomorrow and ask if they have a breakdown. Youda thunk it would be included.

henry

Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr Romney died last year. His wife must still be selling his manuals. I really doubt she'll be of much help.

The best "manual" on one of these Exakta's (not the RTL) is free and online. http://www.exaktaphile.com/vx2ar/repair.html

I love Exakta's. Now, if only I was lefthanded!

Henry

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration