Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

OM-10 with stuck shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » OM-10 with stuck shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graeme

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 06:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an Olympus OM-10 with a jammed shutter..I gather this kind of problem if fairly prevalent if this forum is anything to go by...I'd appreciate any tips for freeing it up. It did it once before some (10?) years go and I had to pay for a service. It promptly froze up again once the 3-month warranty was up, so I don't really want to pay again to get it done if I can help it.
I've tried new batteries, and I've tried gently trying to free the mirror by hand. It's a nice camera and still looks pretty new as I've hardly used it, so it would be good to get it back into service again (espcially as it is now my sole SLR!)

Graeme

Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 06:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, now I've thought about it, it might be more the mirror that is jammed rather than the shutter itself....you can tell I'm a newbie huh? Maybe too much of a newbie to contemplate taking the thing apart....

Any advice greatly appreciated,

Graeme

Henry

Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most of us here have probably had an OM of some sort open at one time or other. But we need to know symptoms...what it's doing...or not doing!

Like...is the mirror half up? If so, REALLY check your battery and contacts. And reset the camera. I think the 10 has an electro-reset switch.

Henry

graeme

Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 04:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well when i press the shutter release nothing happens, and the film advance lever does nothing as the shutter is already cocked.
The battery check gives a good solid bleep, indicating the batteries are OK. Plus the light meter works fine.
I think the mirror is all the way up...I'll double check..first I've heard of a reset swith - I'll check the manual...

Graeme

Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 06:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, I've read the OM-10 repair manual on this site...it appears that the mirror is designed to lock if the shutter is wound when the batteries have gone flat...Doh.
I might be able to reset using the on/off switch....
alternatively the manual talks about applying a voltage to the electromagnetic to turn it off..not sure I fancy doing the latter myself. I'll give the former a try first.
I can't help feeling that the first repair guy saw me coming.....

Graeme

Posted on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 05:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, well I took the batteries out, messed around with the on/off/battery check/self-timer switch but it didn't free up the shutter/mirror. Any other suggestions?
The repair manual implies that the camera has to be dismantled and a current manually put across the electromagnetic to make it release....but is not as clear as it might be.
Is this really the only way of releasing the mechanism?

Henry

Posted on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 09:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It unfortunately sounds like that is what you may need to do. But first try opening the back and pinching the curtain between thumb and finger while trying to lightly move it towards the rewind side. Maybe the second curtain hasn't closed all the way.

You see even though this is an electronic camera the mechanical dominoes still must fall in order.

I think I have an OM-10 here if you need parts.

Henry

Graeme

Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 06:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks....i'll let you know how I get on...

Graeme

Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 03:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Success!
I bit the bullet and removed the plate from the bottom of the camera...noting that one of the screws was missing hmmmm....
As luck would have it the shutter release lever is right at the bottom of the camera. Moved it gently with the screwdriver and it released. Fired the camera a few times, it jammed again. Released it again, fired it off and touch wood it seems to be ok. Looks like it might need a little lubricating....but otherwise the camera is now back in working order!
While putting the baseplate back I noticed a strange rattling in the camera...tipped it up and a screw fell out - not the one from the base plate, but one about 5mm long and very very thin. Can't help wondering where it came from and whether this is a legacy from the time i had the camera serviced.

thanks for your help Henry. And the repair manual on the site was invaluable in explaining to me how it all worked. I would never have considered taking the camera apart otherwise.
:-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration