Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax k1000 lightmeter stopped moving Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Pentax k1000 lightmeter stopped moving « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tim

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 08:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all, am extremely new to this camera (in fact to all cameras) - its an original 70's pentax k1000, and I noticed the other day that all of the appeture/shutter speeds I was choosing seemed to be curiously perfect according to the light-meter. until I realised that the lightmeter had actually just not been moving for the last day/film. It briefly started moving again and has stopped altogether now.

Since the camera has not been mistreated in any-way and was bought relatively recently from the 'classic' camera shop, I would be surprised if this isn't some common problem that I simply do not know about because I am so uninitiated in this area -- the camera did not come with its original manual or documentation of any kind - hence this message. I would imagine there is some setting or something I have overlooked that can be switched back and re-activate the meter.

Are there classic checks to do for such a problem?

many thanks

greyhoundman

Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Replace the battery and be sure the battery contact areas are clean.

rick oleson

Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Pentax is unusual in that the meter will go to center, rather than to the bottom, when the battery dies (hence the above advice).

Another thing to keep in mind is that this meter design draws power even in very low light - up to a point where a light-activated switch in the camera shuts it off. To avoid battery drain, since there is no conventional on/off switch, store it with the lens cap on it.

: ) =

Harv

Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For what it's worth the K1000 has a battery check feature. - set speed dial to B (bulb) and the ASA to 100 and the needle will move up to the "+" area and hold steady there if the battery is good.
Harv

Tim

Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 04:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that is actually a very useful tip. unforunately I couldn't get it to work, but no doubt I will when the camera is running more smoothly.

thankyou all for your apparently correct advice - since I have found the battery, took it out and looked at it and put it back the lightmeter has suddenly started moving again, evidently the battery has realised it is in sh1t. I am not going to fall for this however, and the battery will go in the bin as soon as I find a replacement.

thanks & regards all.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration