Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica GS lens removal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Yashica GS lens removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Newbee issues.

Having just purchased a Yashica GS on line I was disappointed to find it non functional.

The electrics needed work and I was able to dissemble the top housing and viewfinder to resolder the battery wire – OK so far so good but a problem with a jammed shutter remained. The shutter would not release and the self timer was set in the 'down' position (and also would not release.) I tried ‘monkeying’ with the self timer lever which will [firmly but gently] return to ‘home’ position, but it still does not trip the shutter. I have come to suspect that the solution would be found somewhere in the lens barrel

I have the outer ring removed but I can not remove the first lens group. There are two notches on the outside of the screw thread that look like they require a special tool but I have nothing that will fit. How do I get this lens apart? Oh and if anyone has any idea what I do after its in pieces it might save me days of trial and error.

Winfried

Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 04:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are several hints for making your own spanner ring tools in the repair article section, see the article about 'Canonet blade cleaning'. However, the Electro35G lens barrel is not easy to disassemble since a lot of wires will be in your way. Take care of the tiny steel ball providing the click stops for the mode selector ring.

Steve

Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 07:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK - Thanks. I made a tool (not particulaly gracefull but very effective.)

Now I have the lense disembled to the point where the three small black x-point screws are removed and the front of the lense (apature ring) 'should' swing open. But the meter wires are very tight and I cant get much movement I dont like to tug on them and wondered if there is a trick here?

Also? What is the final metal bit that is sopposed to trip the shutter. I guess if I can not see this part moving when i press the shutter release I can work backwards to find my problem.

Steve

Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK - More news.

I think the problem is related to the small metal part right next to the electeo magnets that form the first part of a mechanicle chain of three (fairly) large levers that run up the left hand side of the lense.

The part should (I think???) move when i press the shutter release. It doesnt. I can trip it with a small dental probe and re-charge the whole assembly with the film advance lever but the shutter blades still dont move.

Now i'm stuck!!!

Jon Flanders

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you try cleaning the shutter blaces with Ronsonol or Zippo lighter fluid?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration