Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Lens lubrication question Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Lens lubrication question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Haig Hovaness

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am about to tackle a Konica Hexanon AR 50mm f1.4 lens with a stiff focus problem. Any advice on applying the correct amount of lubricant grease would be most welcome. What is the best technique for achieving just the right amount of friction in the lens focus action?

Winfried

Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First of all you have to remove the old grease as thoroughly as possible. You will have to scratch it off the threads with wooden toothpicks.

Micro-Tools sells special grease for helicals. A light blend should do the trick. I use a light silicone grease. You should avoid any grease made with mineral oil, it will bleed out over time (and may gum up the aperture blades) and there is risk of outgassing and fogging the lens elements.

For disassembly of the lens down to the helical see the articles about camera lenses in the article section.

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the informative reply, Winfried. I am using the Nyogel 795A synthetic grease sold by Micro-Tools, and I find that it doesn't give me a light enough focus movement. Do you think I am applying it incorrectly, or should I switch to a different type of grease? What brand are you using?

Winfried

Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 06:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have to admit I took it from a big can lying around in the mechanical workshop of our company, it is some german brand I do not remember. The stuff I am using sometimes is too stiff for focussing. In these cases I use a blend of graphite powder and silicone oil.

Our mechanics also use a "lighter" (less stiff) variety of silicone grease. AFAIK Micro-Tools sells helical grease in different grades of dampening (stiffness).

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration