Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minox 35GT and 4 x SR44 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Minox 35GT and 4 x SR44 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Russell Wheeldon

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just put 4 SR44 silver 1.5v cells into the battery holder and placed it into my (new) 35GT. I appreciate that this is 6v as opposed to the original 5.6v mercury original. When I press the battery check button the needle drops smartly to the area UNDER the 30th sec marker. I have checked the cells polarities. The original manual states that a mercury cell would give a reading of 125th sec on battery check. Is my new reading wrong? What degree of compensation should I be making in terms of ASA values? The serial number puts the manufacture year as 1981.

Many thanks.

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you insulated the battery chamber? My Minox 35EL has a metal battery chamber which will short individual cells and give strange results (as well as damage the batteries). I just cut a piece of paper to the appropriate size, rolled it into a tube and stuffed it in and solved this problem.

I have gotten acceptable results this way; for best accuracy I've recently tried using 4 ZnAir cells, but I don't know that this makes any difference.

Russell Wheeldon

Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick. The battery holder is made of a plastic tube with side slits. I have just tried re-seating the batteries and am now getting a more acceptable reading of about 250th sec. Well, it seems more promising than the 30th sec before!
Does this sound about right considering the higher voltage?

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 08:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yeah, that probably makes sense. backing off the ISO setting won't be perfect, as you will have more error in brighter light, but if you're shooting print film i would adjust the ISO to give you a correct exposure in sunlight... then at lower levels the error will tend toward overexposure, which the film can handle within reason.

:)=

Russell Wheeldon

Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 02:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your help Rick.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration