Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Agfa ambi silette Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Agfa ambi silette « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

brett

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 08:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have an agfa ambi silette, bought it used and can not get the shutter to work. the camera is in great condition, and when i open the back i can see right through the camera (shutter is open). it is hard for me to get it repaired and was wondering if it is something simple that i could repair, otherwise if i could get suggestions on where to get it repaired (by mail) that'd be great too. thank you

Mark Pearce

Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 07:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Ambi Sillette uses a syncro-Comper shutter, so once you get at it the usual applies regarding these. It's been a while since I've been in one , but I recall that the inner face of the lens mount has to be pried out (it's glued in)to get to screws that secure the lensmount. There are also screws in the film gate under little rubber plugs that have to be losened.
Mark P.

lars

Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 09:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an Ambi Silette which had the same problem. Doing a keyword search on this forum helped me a lot, especially the one on this link: https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/674/690.html?1032206774
Be careful with the thin insulated wire leading to the flash connector. Once you have the shutter out, here are a number of excellent resources on the net that explains opening and cleaning the Synchro-Compur better than I can.
Good luck!

brett

Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thank you, this will be the weekend project

S. Alvarado

Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For Ambi Silette disassembly go to:http://homepage2.nifty.com/CEFIRO/camera/old/AmbiSilette(II)/AmbiSilette2_3.html

Pat Harris

Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 09:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Ambi Silette is nice - all the lens optics are forward of the shutter diaphragm blades. Take the lens off, open the back and try a small squirt of Ronsonol on the blades 2 - 6 - 8 - 13 drops - not really a "squirt". Leave the camera facing either lens mount up or lens mount down to minimize the amount of fluid going into the shutter mechanism - not that will probably do damage - flooding the shutter could be a second step.

I've had a few shutters that were locked pretty tightly due to hardened lubricant that had gotten between the blades. After applying the Ronsonol and if the shutter is cocked and you have pressed the release button you may, in a few minutes, hear a lazy "zz zzz zz zzzzzzzzzzzit" as the shutter works. It may take several applications and you may need to very, very gently "poke" the blades to help get the fluid in between the blades.

It may be that the shutter is not already cocked so you should try the advance after a little soaking.

The selftimer lever may need to have a little "squirt" of Ronsonol as well as trying very, very gently to get it loosend up if it was cocked.

If you have any success the next step is to "exercise" the shutter many times - and you may still have the lubricant between the blades and when the Ronsonol evaporates the blades may not work. Ronsonol, prn.

Ronsonol = Ronson Lighter Fluid - in a real hardware store. Or big cans of Naphtha at a builders supply.

Good Luck

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration