Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus Wide II Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Olympus Wide II « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

lars

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 08:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have Olympus Wide II with sticky (slow) shutter. Blades are oily. I believe that I need to clean shutter mechanism. Could someone please advice how to remove shutter from rest of camera?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Scott

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2004 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hejsan!

I've never held an Olympus Wide II, although I have fixed a fair number of Japanese cameras of the same vintage.

I would expect that the lens is mounted on a square-shaped plate, and that the plate is mounted onto the front of the camera with four screws. Probably, you'll have to peel up the leatherette to expose the screws (and also to remove the plate). The shutter itself is probably held onto the plate on the back-side with a ring nut threaded onto the back (which would be visible with the film door open). If you do want to remove the shutter from that plate, it might be easier (if there's room to manuever your lens-spanner) to remove that ring-nut before removing the plate from the front.

On some Japanese late-50s cameras (like my Welmy Wide), that ring-nut is the only thing holding the shutter on the camera body.

But those Wide cameras didn't have fast lenses, so it shouldn't be difficult to remove both the front and rear lens element/s from the camera without actually removing the shutter. That will allow cleaning of the blades, and then you can remove the plate covering the actual shutter mechanism in order to clean a bit under there.

I'd suggest not trying "flood" the shutter with solvent. Usually, just cleaning the blades themselves is enough.

I've got a Welmy Wide and a Walz Wide. The Welmy is an oddly-built camera, but the Walz is a solid, well-built camera and makes fine images.

m.v.h.

--scott

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration