Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Shutter speed display in viewfinder o... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Shutter speed display in viewfinder of Pentax MX « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

R Larson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just found a nice black MX at local pawnshop, everything works but the viewfinder shutter speed display seems to have slipped or something because it doesn't match speed on dial. Is this an easy fix or should I just ignore? Also where can I find serial numbers for this camera.

rick oleson

Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i can't remember but it doesn't seem like that ought to be too hard to fix... if it's a good deal i'd go ahead and pick it up..

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The black MX is relatively rare. If the paint is in good shape and there are no major cosmetic defects, this could be a good deal. Check to see that the meter is accurate and that the flash sych is working.

Clean black MX bodies go for over $200 on eBay.

R Larson

Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Black paint very nice,couple small nicks in prism housing,1.4 lens,bought for $40.00

miles

Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 08:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My partner's MX, sadly not black, suffers from this problem. She has been using it for years without a problem always going by the dial and not the view finder.

Leo Gottfried

Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You must open the top and tweak the excentic screw that regulates the tension of a string that links the speed dial with the display disk.
If you need more info please e mail me

Leo Gottfried

Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In order to fix this you must open the top cover of your camera and tweak an axcentric screw that regulates the position of the transparent disk that displays the speed in the viewfinder by tensioning more or less the string that links the speed dial with the display disk. If you want to do it I can send you the part of the MX Manual that shows the place for the excentric screw.
A word of caution - the excentric screw is very delicate and it is easy to damage the thread either on the screw or in the body casting.
By the way - you got an excellent buy with this camera even if it does not work. A very goos black MX body goes for around 160 dollars and a Pentax A or M - 50mm MSC f1.4 goes for $60 to $80.
If you want to make a buck with your camera you can buy a mint working silver MX body for around $100 and change the silver parts with the black ones. In E Bay you may get around $220 for a near mint black MX with a 50mm 1.4 lens

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration